compiling php from source on CentOS 5

I am trying to compile php 5.2.6 on CentOS 5.0 but i don't know how to start.

at the moment i have extracted the archive into /tmp/php/ but i don't know if this is right or how to run the configure script with all the dirs it needs

any help or a possible tutorial would be great.

Scott.

Any particular reason you want / need to compile from source. It really isn't nessasray these days.

Anyway, it doesn't matter where you unpack the source tree, you just need to execute the last command (make install) as root.

The basic process is (where $src is the php source tree you just unpacked)....

cd $src
$ ./configure --help
$ ./configure --with-all-options-you-require
$ make
$ sudo make install

Make sure you read the README file within thge source tree, also be sure to check ./configure --help before doing any building. If you get an error while compoiling due to unsatisfied dependencies, install the dependency then come back into the $src directory, clean it and start again. eg;

cd $src
$ make clean
$ sudo make install

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.