Same ID Submitting

Savizzaviz

This is going to be kind of a hard one to explain, but here goes...

I have a database setup for a CD review script, which will have the track listings in it. I also have a web-based update sytem that allows you to enter in the track info using forms. The best way I could think to make this work was to have a page to ask how many tracks you wanted then it generates another page with that many fields, which you can use to fill in the track information. The problem I found was when I got to the submit part. The CD information and the track information have two seperate tables and the track table has three main columns: The album ID (which matches the album ID of the other table), the track number, and the track title. Now I want it to, when you click submit, to submit each field into the database with the same album ID, accending track numbers, and the titles. I\'m completely lost on how to do this all in one submit. I\'m sure this is a simple SQL code, but I cant seem to come up with it.

I guess that\'s all I have to say for now. Thanks for at least reading my post. :wink:

I\'m working on the same kind of thing right now

what you want to do is on the page submitting, first insert the album and then right after that

$newcd = mysql_insert_id();

will get the id of the last insert

then you can use that id to insert the track info :)

Ah. Okay. I think I can see how to use that. Thanks. But now I have another question. I will be able to submit multiple entries at a time into the table even if they have the same column values, right? \'Cause I\'m going to have track number and album title entering into the table in the same query, over and over again for each track. Will these just be added in order of how they are in the HTML form or will it start overwriting them or get them out of order somehow?

• 1 month later...

Well I kind of left this for a couple months here, but when I return to it I see I have the same problem. I think I might have set up my database in a kind of conveluted way, though. Basicly it\'s like this:

album_id | track_numb | track_title

and then I have another table that has all the other album info. So the album_id coresponds to an album_id in that table and is therefore the same for all the tracks on that album. I cant seem to figure out, though, how to input that properly, all from one submit of a form (with all the tracks). I was thinking I might need an auto incremented track_id, but I\'m not sure how to implement that so it helps with my script.

What I have tried is to have the whole form just INSERT into the table with this code:

INSERT INTO album_tracks (album_id,track_numb,track_title) VALUES (\'$record\',\'$track_number\',\'$track_title\')

but it appears that it just puts in the last row in the form (which would have the highest track number).

Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.