Full AJAX Website.

GB_001

Hello, I'm creating a site that utilizes AJAX for everything (links ect.).

Only problem is that bookmarking and the back button functionality will be hard and will not be implemented until I'm able to.

My question is how much do you believe this will affect users?

lots.

Unless you have a specific reason for using it, avoid AJAX. What I've found is that it's great for server-side lookups (such as auto suggest) or stuff like saving forms, but for serving entire pages it's a waste of time and pointless. Not to mention that accessibility goes out the window, and Google doesn't utilise Javascript when crawling your site so may not be able to index your site correctly.

My list goes on, but like I say - avoid unless you really need it. When you really need it, you'll just know...

Yeah, you will lose out on a lot of things building an Ajax-based website. It should be used as a small tool instead.

You could however make it so that the site can run using Ajax (if javascript is enabled) and as a normal site (if disabled). Or give the option for the user!?

lots.

Unless you have a specific reason for using it, avoid AJAX. What I've found is that it's great for server-side lookups (such as auto suggest) or stuff like saving forms, but for serving entire pages it's a waste of time and pointless. Not to mention that accessibility goes out the window, and Google doesn't utilise Javascript when crawling your site so may not be able to index your site correctly.

My list goes on, but like I say - avoid unless you really need it. When you really need it, you'll just know...

I agree that using ajax for the whole website is not a great idea from a usability standpoint however as far as google i am pretty sure that you can create a separate file for google to crawl your site.

I would definatly not do AJAX for an entire site. That is the same thing Flash websites have trouble with.

While you may believe it speeds things up, your sacrificing a useful part of the User Interface (The Back/Formard Buttons) for a nifty gimmick.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.