Question on PHP variables.

art15

Hi All,

If in php file, I need to have a variable printed <?php print $username; ?> where $username="User Name", is it that using <?php print $username; ?> consume more memory. Instead if I just write "User Name" on my php page without using a variable file to store the $username variable and using that variable file to echo the string User Name.?

Thanks

First off, that is the most headache inducing description I've ever read.

Secondly, does $username change (it's pulled from a mysql table, determined from a POSTed value, etc)?  If not, why are you putting it in a variable to begin with?  I can only assume it is dynamic, in which case, it has to be a variable.

Memory wise, yes, it will consume a few bytes more, but nothing worth even noting.

Memory wise, yes, it will consume a few bytes more, but nothing worth even noting.

I agree. it does consumes some memory but it's not something you should worry about, unless you are using oldest computer :).

If that is something that does not change, then I wont store it at the variable. If it is a magic number, I will make it a constant instead.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.