text area new lines?

MoFish

i have a text area on my page, but when i do a new line using return, it is not displaying a new line on the output to screen. how can i successfully use returns so it is displayed in paragraphs for example.

im using the following:

[b]$message = $_POST['messagebox'];[/b]

[b]<textarea name="messagebox" cols="40" rows="5" style="width:300px"></textarea>[/b]

thanks again, mofish

Hi,

I have this same problem and am using the nl2br function.

But if someone sends a message with one or more single quotes in it i get the following:

typed in textarea: foo isn't bar

displayed in HTML: foo isn\\\'t bar

For some reason 3 backslashes are added before the quote every time and this happends to every quote in the message.

e.g.

He's it's she's = He\\\'s it\\\'s she\\\'s

How can i stop this properly?

Thanks.

[!--quoteo(post=380032:date=Jun 4 2006, 05:27 PM:name=SetLar8)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SetLar8 @ Jun 4 2006, 05:27 PM) [snapback]380032[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hi,

I have this same problem and am using the nl2br function.

But if someone sends a message with one or more single quotes in it i get the following:

typed in textarea: foo isn't bar

displayed in HTML: foo isn\\\'t bar

For some reason 3 backslashes are added before the quote every time and this happends to every quote in the message.

e.g.

He's it's she's = He\\\'s it\\\'s she\\\'s

How can i stop this properly?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Try using $message = nl2br(htmlentities($message));

htmlentities($message) should get ride of the \\\ problem.

[!--quoteo(post=380045:date=Jun 4 2006, 10:20 PM:name=SetLar8)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SetLar8 @ Jun 4 2006, 10:20 PM) [snapback]380045[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
no, that didnt help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for your help anyway
[/quote]

[code]
<?
$message = nl2br(htmlentities($message));
$goawaybackslash=str_replace("\\\","",$message);
echo $goawaybackslash;
?>

[/code]

Hi,

Following the above i have found the following:

When i submit the message first time there is only 1 backslash "\'"

But when i pass the variable to another page 2 more are added.

You can check this out here: [a href=\"http://www.maxiehost.com/uk/support.htm\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.maxiehost.com/uk/support.htm[/a]

When entering the message click send, on the next screen you can see the message with only one backslash for each single quote. when you enter the verification code and submit there are then 2 more added to each single quote.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.