$user = $_SESSION['user'];

if($user) {

if(isset($_POST['submit'])) {

$username = $_POST['username'];
$title = $_POST['title'];
$description = $_POST['description'];
$ip = $_POST['ip'];
$date = $_POST['date'];

if($title==NULL || $description==NULL || $username==NULL || $ip==NULL || $date==NULL) {
echo "All fields must be filled in.";
} else {
$query = "INSERT INTO news (`username`, `title`, `description`, `ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$username', '$title', '$description', '$ip', '$date')";
$result = mysql_query($query) or die('Could not insert news into system contact Copernicus');

} // for submit button if
} // for if is NULL
} else { // for the logged in if statement
echo "you must be logged in.";
}

?>
<style type="text/css">
<!--
.style1 {
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: x-small;
}
-->
</style>
<title>Submit News</title>
<p><input type="hidden" name="username" value=" <?php $_SESSION['user']; ?> " />
  <Br>
  <span class="style1">Title:<Br>
  <input type="text" name="title" />

<BR>
  Description:
  <Br>
  <input name="description" type="text" value="" height="50">
  <BR>
  <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit">
  <input type="hidden" name="ip" value=" <?php echo $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']; ?> ">
  <input type="hidden" name="date" value=" <?php echo date('m/d/Y'); ?> ">
  </span></p>

this doesnt submit it to the database, any idea why???

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:52 AM

assuming that you are actually getting a connection from your include, and assuming that all of your variables are not null, i think the problem is that you have those funky quotes around your column names.

$query = "INSERT INTO news (`username`, `title`, `description`, `ip`, `date`) VALUES ('$username', '$title', '$description', '$ip', '$date')";

for some reason those types of quotes don't seem to work a lot..
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 localhost

localhost
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:57 AM

those ` quote have always worked for me in situations like this...idk why theyre not working now.

#4 localhost

localhost
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:12 AM

FIXED. IT was due to the lack of <form action="" method="POST>

:P

#5 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 04:12 AM

edit: you posted at same time as me. kk then.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users