• 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

i have a table setup with the following in

id
game_id
name

now i want to filter/search the table for specific results so i did this

SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE name LIKE %$name% ORDER BY id DESC

thats all well and good, i can use anything as $name and it returns all the rows with $name in name..

now i want to filter them more so i try

SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE game_id = '1' OR game_id = '2' AND name LIKE %$name% ORDER BY id DESC

it gives me results where name is nothing like $name ?

any idea where im going wrong? or is there a better way to do what im trying to do?

if i havnt explained what im trying to do very well then please say so and ill try to explain a bit better [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

cheers

EDIT: forgot to say if i just do
SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE game_id = '1' AND name LIKE %$name% ORDER BY id DESC

it works

but i want to be able to search for multiple game_ids...

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE game_id IN ('1','2','3') AND name LIKE %$name% ORDER BY id DESC

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 neddy

neddy
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 06:57 PM

wow :D

working perfectly so far

thanks a bunch [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users