Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ppunk

Start Date and End Date array

Hi, I am trying to set up a page where visitors can fill out a form on my site to list their events that are going on. I saw another site that had it setup with a Start Date (month and day drop-downs) and then the length of the event (days drop-down; they had 7 days). So if I wanted to list an event starting tomorrow and have it be 4 days long, it would be like this: Start Date: June 6, 2006, Length: 4 days, so the last day would be June 9, 2006. (6, 7, 8, 9).

After they fill out the form, it would get entered in the database similar to this: startDate = 2006-06-06, endDate = 2006-06-09. I was able to set this up on my own, but there were two flaws I couldn't figure out. First, one extra day was added to the total everytime. Example: I choose 2006-06-01 as start date with a length of 10 days. When it prints out the array it goes from 2006-06-02 to 2006-06-12. It should have been: 01 to 10. I am clueless here.

Another problem I have found is when you choose a later day of the month and a longer length, it doesn't do anything at all. Example: I choose 2006-06-25 with a length of 10 days, it should start at 25 and go to 04 (July). It doesn't do anything. I was playing around with the day and length and found once I get to the 21st day and choose a length of 10, it doesn't work. It takes a long time to load the next page and when it does it is blank. If I go back to my form and choose the 20th with a length of 10, it works right away. I assume it has something to do with the date. There are only 30 days in June, so when I go up one more day (the 21st) and choose 10 day length, it is looking for June 31st, which doesn't exist. What is weird is that if I choose June 20th and length of 10, it prints out from June 21 to July 01 (remember, even though I chose 20 it is printing out 21 for some reason).

I should also mention why I am trying to get the dates in between the Start and End Dates printed to an array. It is because I have a calendar set up and it needs the Month/Day for each day of an event in order for it to highlight the days on the calendar. I will of course have to work on getting the 'Y-m-d' formats from the array to format to 'F' and 'd' for the calendar, but that is later on.

Well, here is my current code.
This is the form:
[code]
<form id="form1" name="form1" method="get" action="form2.php">
Start Date:
  <?php
$curr_month = date("F");
$months = array("January", "February", "March", "April", "May", "June", "July", "August", "September", "October", "November", "December");
$month_values = array("01", "02", "03", "04", "05", "06", "07", "08", "09", "10", "11", "12");  
echo "<select name=\"sMonth\">";
for ($i=0;$i<count($months);$i++) {
    echo "<option value=\"". $month_values[$i]. "\"";
    if ($curr_month==$months[$i]) { echo " selected"; }
    echo ">". $months[$i]. "</option>\n";
}
echo "</select>";
?>
<?php
$curr_day = date("j");
$days = array("1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10", "11", "12", "13", "14", "15", "16", "17", "18", "19", "20", "21", "22", "23", "24", "25", "26", "27", "28", "29", "30", "31");
echo "<select name=\"sDay\">";
for ($i=0;$i<count($days);$i++) {
    echo "<option value=\"". $days[$i]. "\"";
    if ($curr_day==$days[$i]) { echo " selected"; }
    echo ">". $days[$i]. "</option>\n";
}
echo "</select>";
?>

Event Length:
  <select name="selDay" id="selDay">
    <option value="1">1</option>
    <option value="2">2</option>
    <option value="3">3</option>
    <option value="10">10</option>
  </select>
  Days<br />
  <br />
  <input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Submit" />
</form>
[/code]
And here is the page that processes the form data and array:
[code]
<?php
// Get Start Date and Length from form
$sMonth = $_GET['sMonth'];
$sDay = $_GET['sDay'];
$selDay = $_GET['selDay'];

// Current Year
$currYear = date('Y');

// Format Start Date
$sMD = "-$sMonth-$sDay";
$sYMD = $currYear.$sMD;
$startDate = date('Y-m-d',strtotime($sYMD));

// Create End Date from Start Date + Length
$endDate = date('Y-m-d', strtotime("$startDate+$selDay days"));

// Save Dates in array - Borrowed this from another post on PHP Freaks
$arrDates = array();
for ($i = $startDate; $i <= $endDate; $i++)
$arrDates[] = @date('Y-m-d', strtotime($i . " days"));

// Array with 12 date-ready slots, just for testing
echo $arrDates[0]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[1]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[2]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[3]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[4]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[5]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[6]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[7]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[8]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[9]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[10]; echo "<br>";
echo $arrDates[11]; echo "<br>";

?>
[/code]
At this point, if you choose June 5th on the form with a length of 3 days, it prints out like this on the second page:
[code]
2006-06-06
2006-06-07
2006-06-08
2006-06-09
[/code]
I hope I explained everything clear enough.
Once again, any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks!

-Steve

In you loop to get the endDate from the startDate, you are trying to add 1 to a string in the format 'Y-m-d' which really doesn't work:
[code]<?php
startDate = date('Y-m-d',strtotime($sYMD));

// Create End Date from Start Date + Length
$endDate = date('Y-m-d', strtotime("$startDate+$selDay days"));

// Save Dates in array - Borrowed this from another post on PHP Freaks
$arrDates = array();
for ($i = $startDate; $i <= $endDate; $i++)
$arrDates[] = @date('Y-m-d', strtotime($i . " days"));
?>[/code]
What you should be doing is using the UNIX time stamp and adding the number of seconds in a day (86400):
[code]<?php
$startDate = strtotime($sYMD);
$endDate = startDate + (86400 * $selDays);
for ($i = $startDate; $i<= $endDate;$i += 86400)
     $arrDates[] = date('Y-m-d',$i);
?>[/code]

Ken

Wow! That was a [b]terrific [/b]reply! You helped me solve all my problems!!
The only thing I had to change from your example (besides two typos) was this:
[code]$endDate = ($startDate - 1) + (86400 * $selDay);[/code]
I did ($startDate - 1) because it was adding one too many days to the total still. By adding that it is now taking one off. So when I choose June 5th and 10 days length, it goes to June 14th. Same with the end of the month days, when I select June 25th now with a length of 10 days, it goes from June 25 to July 04.
Just awesome!

Do you know why it was adding an extra day to the total? Not a big deal, I am so glad it is working now!

Thanks again for the great help!!

-Steve

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.