• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 csgcarl

csgcarl
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:32 PM

Hi, Ive searched google every where basicly but can not find this! Basicly I have a site that members can log into and a forum but everytime a member registers they have to signup on forum and site, how can i make it so they register once and it creates an account on site and forum? also so when they log into site it logs them into forum?

Thanks
Carl

#2 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

You need to use the forum's login table and build sessions like they do (if they use sessions) so it carries over between the two.

Info: PHP Manual

#3 csgcarl

csgcarl
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:29 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply could you maybe expand ok that abit as I dont quite follow you.

Cheers

#4 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:02 PM

you have to look at your forum's script and find out what all is inserted into its table when you register (like username, password, register date, etc...) you must then make your site script register the user the same way (inserting the same information into the same table(s)).

then you have to look at your forum's login script and see what kind of information is being retrieved and carried in the session, that makes the user "logged in" (such as their username, password, etc..) and create the same session variables on your site's login script, so that when they login on your site, those session variables will be created, so that if they then go to the forum, it will show them as logged in.

unfortunately, we cannot get more specific than that, since we don't know which forum script you are using, and we don't know how your own site's script is setup.

The best place to look for a solution like this is at the website for your forum (for instance, if you use phpbb then go to their forum), because this is a fairly common question, so I'm pretty sure it's already been addressed by people who use it, or maybe even the owners themselves.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#5 csgcarl

csgcarl
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

Thanks alot for your help I will do what you have said failing that I will get in tuch with them.

Im using 'YABB' atm but thinking of maybe using invsion or VB.

Cheers For All Your Help :)

#6 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 06 June 2006 - 07:20 PM

Might I suggest SMF? It's free ;-)

Info: PHP Manual

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users