[SOLVED] IPv6, gtfo :(

Daniel0

I'm having a slight problem I don't really know how to resolve. When typing localhost in my browser address bar it tries to load http://www.localhost.com. It is obviously not supposed to do that. When I ping localhost it resolves to ::1, i.e. the IPv6 version of IPv4's 127.0.0.1. I'm running Windows Vista. Does anyone know how to fix that?

>ping localhost

Pinging daniel-laptop [::1] from ::1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from ::1: time<1ms

Ping statistics for ::1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

I have the same issue with my computer's name, daniel-laptop:

>ping daniel-laptop

Pinging daniel-laptop [fe80::3817:28db:3f57:ff98%14] from fe80::3817:28db:3f57:ff98%14 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from fe80::3817:28db:3f57:ff98%14: time<1ms

Ping statistics for fe80::3817:28db:3f57:ff98%14:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Does anyone know how to fix that? It's incredibly annoying :(

Yeah. It has those entries. Along with a couple of other I added myself. Funny thing is though, the manual ones I've added myself (dev.phpfreaks for instance) that also point to 127.0.0.1 work fine though. It just doesn't like localhost and LAN computer names anymore :-\

i get the same ping results as you and localhost still ok for me, so that's probably not the issue. I've have had cross-browser issues before hence my suggestion - otherwise - this is the point i bail out and say I have not got a clue ;)

I guess it is a system issue after all

Most likely, I mean, it is called windows vista after all. :)

I shouldn't say that. A big part of being a Linux advicate is not bagging other OS's and understanding that it (Linux) can't be everything for everybody (hell, I'm even typing this msg from my xp machine I use in my studio).

Can't we just all get allong?

I removed the

::1	localhost

entry and that did the trick. I'm not sure why it would suddenly break though. It worked quite fine like that before. Oddly that also fixed the issue with it not loading when I try daniel-laptop in the browser. However, when I ping daniel-laptop I still get the IPv6 address. It's a mystery to me, but now it works again at least...

I guess it is a system issue after all

Most likely, I mean, it is called windows vista after all. :)

I shouldn't say that. A big part of being a Linux advicate is not bagging other OS's and understanding that it (Linux) can't be everything for everybody (hell, I'm even typing this msg from my xp machine I use in my studio).

Can't we just all get allong?

Oh I like Linux, but it doesn't have the software I like/need.

Oh I like Linux, but it doesn't have the software I like/need.

Yeah, thats what I used to think too. Now I know for most things it actually has better software, and its free to use and modify to my needs.

Unfortunately, my school requires me to use an application called FirstClass. Even though it has Linux support, it has really poor Linux support. It seems that they have stopped development for Linux because the latest version for Linux is 8.315 while for OSX and Windows it's 9.106. It's lacking an entire major release. It's also really buggy on Linux; it has managed to crash X several times. Moreover does it plainly look ugly on Linux. It's trying to emulate some sort of Windows XP theme it appears. In this instance it is not possible for me to pick an alternative because it's a proprietary client on a proprietary protocol on a proprietary server. No alternatives. I wish my school would just switch away from it entirely because it sucks on Windows as well.

Also, I like Adobe CS, and it's not available for Linux either.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.