Date Calculation

ainoy31

Hello-

I am having trouble trying to calculate a billing cycle on a monthly basis.  Say the billing cycle start date is 2008-2-15, then the next cycle should start at 2008-03-14.  Here is my script that I have tried.

echo $Date = '2008-02-15';

$numDays = (date('t', $currentDate = strtotime("$Date")));

echo "A month from now: " . (date('Y-m-d', mktime(0,0,0,date('d', $currentDate)+ $numDays,0,0)));

Much appreciation.  AM

I am trying to take into account that there is never 30 days in a bill cycle since the days in the months are different.  So, I figure how many days are in the month that the bill cycle starts and then add the total days to get to the next start of the bill cycle.  Hope that is not confusing.

Do you mean that you just want to add the total number of days in the relevant month to the respective days?

Would that mean that if the cycle starts on January 31st, the next one would be March 3rd (if it isn't a leap year)? Because 31 days after that day is more than the number of days in February. Actually, every 31 day month that is followed by a 30 day month would go to the first of two months later. Did you mean something else, or is that how you want it to work?

// Exactly 30 days in the future:

date("Y-m-d", mktime(0,0,0,date("m"), date("d")+30, date("Y")));

// Exactly 1 month in the future:

date("Y-m-d", mktime(0,0,0,date("m")+1, date("d"), date("Y")));

// Date in future based on how many days are in the current month:

date("Y-m-d", mktime(0,0,0,date("m"), date("d")+cal_days_in_month(CAL_GREGORIAN, date("m"), date("Y")), date("Y")));

Using the strtotime() function is even easier:

<?php
//Exactly 30 days in the future
echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime("+30 days")) . '<br>';
//Exactly 1 month in the future
echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('+1 month')) . '<br>';
// Date in future based on how many days are in the current month:
echo date('Y-m-d',strtotime('+' . date('t') . ' days'));
?>

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.