header location won't work

Here is my code:

<?php
require_once('db.php');
include('functions.php');
if(isset($_POST['Login']))
{
if($_POST['username']!='' && $_POST['password']!='')
{
$query = mysql_query('SELECT ID, Username, Active FROM users WHERE Username = "'.mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username']).'" AND Password = "'.mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST['password'])).'"');
if(mysql_num_rows($query) == 1)
{
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query);
if($row['Active'] == 1)
{
$_SESSION['user_id'] = $row['ID'];
$_SESSION['logged_in'] = TRUE;
header('Location: http://www.mywebsite.com/new_page.php');
}
else{
$error = 'Your membership was not activated. Please open the email that we sent and click on the activation link.';
}
}
else
{		
$error = '<font color="#FF0000" size=4>Wrong username or password.</font>';		
}
}
else{
$error = 'Please enter both your username and password to access your account.';
}
}
?>

Everything works fine with no errors, but the header won't redirect to the new page.

Please help. Thank you.

The script should exit as soon as you set the Location header, and you need to use session_start before you attempt to get or set any session variables.

There is no code that can be executed after he sends the Location header so calling die() is useless in this case.

I have a new problem now.  When the header redirects, it goes to a page called student_home.php where I have this code:

<?php

error_reporting(E_ALL);

ini_set('display_errors', '1');

session_start();

if (!isset($_SESSION['user_id']))

{

echo "You must be logged in to view this page";

die();

}

else

{

echo "Hello, you're logged in!";

}

?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

<title>Complete Guitar Method</title>

</head>

<body>

Student Homepage.

</body>

</html>

it was saying i wasn't logged in.  I figured there was a problem with the sessions but wasn't sure.  I added the code that p2grace suggested:

error_reporting(E_ALL);

ini_set('display_errors', '1');

and this is what it is displaying:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/var/php_sessions/sess_90d40c9825203679c2f22fae21b19e4f, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in /hermes/bosweb/web075/b753/sl.dw/public_html/student_home.php on line 4

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /hermes/bosweb/web075/b753/sl.dw/public_html/student_home.php:4) in /hermes/bosweb/web075/b753/sl.dw/public_html/student_home.php on line 4

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /hermes/bosweb/web075/b753/sl.dw/public_html/student_home.php:4) in /hermes/bosweb/web075/b753/sl.dw/public_html/student_home.php on line 4

You must be logged in to view this page

Warning: Unknown(): open(/var/php_sessions/sess_90d40c9825203679c2f22fae21b19e4f, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown(): Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/php_sessions) in Unknown on line 0

I really don't understand what's happening.  Hopefully someone can help me out.  Thanks.

There is no code that can be executed after he sends the Location header so calling die() is useless in this case.

What I'm saying is that it's good practice, otherwise you can end up in a situation like this:

<?php
if (!$logged_in) {
  header ('Location: login.php');
}
?>
Hello, logged in user. Here's the secret/private stuff you are accessing.

In this case, the secret/private stuff is sent to the client along with the location header, which means that anyone using a net debugger or special browser will see it, before their client sends the request for login.php.

Or another case, like this:

if ($condition_a) {
  header ('Location: a.php');
}
if ($condition_b) {
  header ('Location: b.php');
}

Suppose $condition_a and $condition_b are true, this won't do at all what you might expect by looking at the code.

Or another case, like this:

if ($condition_a) {
  header ('Location: a.php');
}
if ($condition_b) {
  header ('Location: b.php');
}

Suppose $condition_a and $condition_b are true, this won't do at all what you might expect by looking at the code.

It's pretty simple if one bothers to read the manual. Calling header() with the same header twice will override it. Therefore, if $condition_a is true and $condition_b is false you will go to a.php. If $condition_b is true it will always go to b.php. Otherwise you will go nowhere.

One might want to continue script execution so the "always die() after sending a Location HTTP response header"-rule doesn't always hold. An example could be cleanup/garbage collection.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.