WANTED: SPEED TESTER

I just got VPS hosting, and it's slower than my old shared hosting provider.

I've made a speed tester, but I need speed testers!

Please click here (it's simple):

http://figmented.com/traffictest/

It's not a real app, but it'll help me troubleshoot slow speeds on my new server. It's either the 128kB RAM or it's network-related. If I get enough requests, I'll post the code.

Thanks!!!

My result showed new host was faster than old host, but it was incorrect.

I loaded the images faster from the old host by 1/4 | 1/3 less total time.  If this is a trend, perhaps your made a labeling mistake?  Otherwise, it's possible that one host caps their uploads, or it's due to congestion, or a number of other things.

My result showed new host was faster than old host, but it was incorrect.

I loaded the images faster from the old host by 1/4 | 1/3 less total time.  If this is a trend, perhaps your made a labeling mistake?  Otherwise, it's possible that one host caps their uploads, or it's due to congestion, or a number of other things.

Are you User 7 on this list (or **.**.**.66)?

http://figmented.com/traffictest/results/

If so, it shows the NEW HOST @ 8kB per sec and the OLD HOST @ 18kB per sec which means that the labeling is correct (OLD HOST has been faster most of the time).

If you're talking about something else or I'm just reading this wrong, please let me know. I tried to pay close attention to labeling, but I was also in a hurry. I just wanna make sure, because I don't wanna confuse anyone.

Thank you so much!

Try clicking the old host first, than the new host. I bet everyone is clicking new host first, and then when they go to old host, some of the images are already cached, thus enabling faster load time. Try using 2 sets of completely different images, I think you'll get more accurate results.

Old host seems to work faster, but I still think that both servers have terrible performance. I use dsl and although I don't have the "fastest" internet connection on the block, I still usually get better download speeds than 11 kb/sec. My connection reaches the 90 kb/sec at times and 60 kb/sec at very congested times. You may need to change hosts....  :-\

Try clicking the old host first, than the new host. I bet everyone is clicking new host first, and then when they go to old host, some of the images are already cached, thus enabling faster load time. Try using 2 sets of completely different images, I think you'll get more accurate results.

I got really worried when you brought this up, because I didn't check even think to check. However, I have verified that both Firefox and IE will NOT cache images between servers.

You should have three big (100kb, 500kb, 1mb?) images, so it's more accurate

That's a good idea, but I'm just using these icons along with some HTML/CSS art for a web app. I'm not shooting for the most accurate results; I just need to know which server can request/respond quicker (it's an AJAX app). If anyone wants the code, though, I may make it available with small, medium, and large images.

Old host seems to work faster, but I still think that both servers have terrible performance. I use dsl and although I don't have the "fastest" internet connection on the block, I still usually get better download speeds than 11 kb/sec. My connection reaches the 90 kb/sec at times and 60 kb/sec at very congested times. You may need to change hosts....  :-\

My VSP only has 128 kB of RAM. Does anyone know if this would greatly affect network speeds? My PHP code executes fine, but I'm guessing that having 50 socket connections established one-after-the-other might slow things down. If not, maybe I should consider switching hosts like you said, but I just had a breakdown this week after migrating to the new one!

Ok, the host tried everything they can, but their speeds are not getting any better. I want to try hosting some sites off a local PC. Can everyone go to the updated speed test that includes "MY HOST"?

http://70.112.160.245/traffictest/

Mine came out to 108kB per second which beats 31/11kB from the other hosts (but my browser also didn't have to jump through many hoops to loop back).

Thank you guys so much!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.