Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisdav

Insert/ Select help required

I have spent a long time trying to get this one - and I am now questioning my data structure

I have the following tables at present (telephone billing system)

TABLE -DATA

ID

ACCOUNT NUMBER

CALL TYPE

COUNTRY

CALL LENGTH

SEVERAL OTHER FIELDS NOT RELEVANT

TABLE - CUSTOMERS

ACCOUNT NUMBER

RATE TABLE

TABLE - RATETABLE

COUNTRY

PEAK

OFFPEAK

WEEKEND

On a row by row basis - I wish to update (or insert into a new table) the rate that I wish to charge for a call - taken from the DATA table.

e.g.

row 1 DATA contains the following information

ID = 1

ACCOUNT NUMBER = ABC123

CALL TYPE = PEAK

COUNTRY CODE = 44

I then get the rate table to be used from customers, and use it to select the correct rate \'where ratetable.country = data.country and ratetable.call type = data.call type\'

Have managed to do this in php - takes a very long time tho\' as it is running the script on a WHILE loop and there is approx 500k rows in data.

It strikes me there must be a more direct way of doing this - if not I will go back and have a look at my php code.

Any thoughts gratefully received - if my data structure (or explanation) could be improved then I will do.

To do that

You have to give a look on indexes

Check your mysql help and get the syntax to create indexes

Once you do that that will improve the perfomance.

Hope this gives u some Idea :idea:

Thanks for that - presume you mean that my php will work faster if I create indexes on my fields.

I will give that a go and see what happens

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.