Auto delete options

radalin

I'm curious if there is a way to autodelete rows after a period of time of inactivity or only after a period of time. Maybe there is a way with scheduled tasks or another way, which checks rows for a time and delete rows that are created one day ago?

Triggers or procedures can solve this? In mysql or pgsql or another database is such thing exists?

Thank you for your time.

The "old school" way is to use a CRON job; but MySQL 5.1 supposedly has an event scheduler which will allow you to do just this without an external program (though I've never actually used it). In principle, you could add a trigger to run, but that's too much extra work for every single statement.

[!--quoteo(post=381758:date=Jun 8 2006, 11:08 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jun 8 2006, 11:08 PM) [snapback]381758[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The "old school" way is to use a CRON job; but MySQL 5.1 supposedly has an event scheduler which will allow you to do just this without an external program (though I've never actually used it). In principle, you could add a trigger to run, but that's too much extra work for every single statement.
[/quote]

Hi

I have the same problem with my website.

How does this CRON job work and where do I get it.

Yeah a simple example could be great with cron as i did not understand too much from the examples I found. Also can I work with cron in windows.

And also what if i implement in my code such an execution. At every time my page will be called that function will be executed. But I think it's better if I implement it as a scheduled task.

[!--quoteo(post=382072:date=Jun 9 2006, 05:44 PM:name=radalin)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(radalin @ Jun 9 2006, 05:44 PM) [snapback]382072[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Do you know if there is such an option like a scheduled task in postgresql
[/quote]
I have no idea... never used it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.