Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fyorl

PHP 4 to 5

The Elemental Design team were thinking of switching to better hosts and the one chosen gives the option of having PHP 4 or 5 installed on the server. Since I'm the Lead Programmer, the decision fell to me and I've read up a bit on the differences between the two but they don't have much relevance to me and Elemental Design.

I've used object-orientation and apparently one of the main differences between PHP 4 and 5 is its object-oriented (shouldn't that be orientated?) stuff. I was just wondering if I would have to rewrite all my classes to use stuff like __constructor where previously I'd just been using the class name as the method name or if it's back-compatible and either will work? If I do have to re-write them, is it worth it?

Thanks

[a href=\"http://www.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php\" target=\"_blank\"]Here[/a] is what the manual has to say.

There are plenty of reasons to switch to php5, especially if you like using objects. The is allot of real OOP methods available in 5 that are simply not htere in 4.

Thanks for that, migrating to PHP shouldn't be a problem and any new bugs should be easily ironed out without much effort. The thing is, I liked the simpler, PHP 4 way of doing OOP. PHP 5 doesn't seem worth it as I can't see myself using any of the new features.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.