Write File Class

Cell0518

Hi,
I'm setting up a class to read and write to a file. The code I've posted is trimmed to only include the needed code (both the classes and config files are "included" in a broad "main" file)

*Moved code due to Safety script "403"ing...
[a href=\"http://ftp.chrisloveonline.com/config.phps\" target=\"_blank\"]http://ftp.chrisloveonline.com/config.phps[/a]

At this point, when I have it read, it gets nothing.

Help would be appreciated,
Chris

I found your problem but can't post the full solution cos of the security on here. Basically in the read method, where you've got fopen("$this->filename", "r") should be fopen($this -> filename, 'r'). Never put quotes around $this -> anything

Have you changed:
$contents = fread($handle, filesize("$this->filename"));
to:
$contents = fread($handle, filesize($this -> filename));

Also, the read method doesn't return anything. You need to put [code]return $contents[/code] at the bottom of it. Then calling $c = $config -> read(); will have whatever $contents is.

Your write method is using a variable $updated_contents but it is not getting that variable from anywhere. You need to either pass the variable to the method when you call it or set a class variable and have the method call that. The former is probably what you're looking for.

well, I added a var $updated-contents; in the class

(i'm continuing to update the file in the 1st post)

I also have it returning the postMessage. It is returning a bad, I can't update the file message, but It's still saving as a blank file.

Thanks for you help,
Chris

just adding var $updated_contents won't help anything. First you need to set the variable either somewhere in the class using $this -> updated_contents = 'blah'; or outside the class using $config -> updated_contents = 'blah'; then in your write method you need to access it using $this -> updated_contents or $uc = $this -> updated_contents

Sorry for the late reply, I got dinner

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.