Button foucs on forms

a1ias

Hi ppl

This is not particularly php specific I imagine but does play a major part in any php driven form script so the information will be very useful.

I basically have a form on a page - in this instance a login form that asks for username and password.

Below the forms are 2 Submit buttons, a 'Lost Password' on the left and a 'Login' on the right as follows:

<td><input type="submit" name="lostpass" value="Lost Password"></td><td><input type="submit" name="login" value="Login"></td>

By default, as soon as an entry is made in one of the fields, the focus appears on the 'Lost Password' button, no doubt as it is the first button that the code comes to. The problem being that for the lazy page users who enter their username/password then hit enter instead of actually clicking on a button, they are taken to the 'lostpass' script.

Is there a way to apply the focus to the 'Login' button by default without changing the actual orientation [i](that's my daily "Lost" reference covered")[/i] of the buttons on the page.

many thanks in advance for your assistance

a1ias

You can float the login button to the right and place it first.
[code]
<form>
<table><tr>
<td>Username:</td><td><input type="text" /></td>
</tr><tr>
<td colspan="2">
<input type="submit" name="login" value="Login" style="float:right;">
<input type="submit" name="lostpass" value="Lost Password">
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</form>
[/code]
Make sure the table is big enough to fit both buttons.

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll play around and let you know the result as soon as my server is back up :/

I did actually try the tabindex, but I think that it quite literally works only in conjunction with tabbing between buttons.

However, I'll see what happens later :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.