Dynamic Updates

Ali J

Hi to all...

I'm trying to create a site where I can keep track of soccer scores and standings. I wish to have it update the scores and points and all dynamically through rss or some other method, but am not sure on what to do or where to research. I figure there must be easier ways of updating scores and standings rather than manually updating them each and everytime. I know how to use and implement PHP and am not a beginner but neither am I a pro.

Can anyone please provide suggestions on how to go about doing this? I'm not sure if this is the right forum or place to ask but have always been helped here in the past. I would greatly appreciate some help on this.

Thanks,
Ali

If you have access to an rss feed with all the updated scores you could set a script to get the feed and parse it with an xml parsing class (I think there's one on this site). The every time the page refreshes, it would get the feed again and update the scores appropriately. If you want them updated without having to refresh the page you'd have to use Ajax, it's fairly complicated and requires javascript but I'd be willing to tell you how if you want. Otherwise just stick with PHP and use the first method I suggested

[!--quoteo(post=382058:date=Jun 9 2006, 04:58 PM:name=Fyorl)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Fyorl @ Jun 9 2006, 04:58 PM) [snapback]382058[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
If you have access to an rss feed with all the updated scores you could set a script to get the feed and parse it with an xml parsing class (I think there's one on this site). The every time the page refreshes, it would get the feed again and update the scores appropriately. If you want them updated without having to refresh the page you'd have to use Ajax, it's fairly complicated and requires javascript but I'd be willing to tell you how if you want. Otherwise just stick with PHP and use the first method I suggested
[/quote]

Thanks, I haven't tried the xml parsing class in some time, so if you could touch on both methods please? I am trying to learn ajax at the same time also and like the idea of not having to refresh the page..

Thanks, Much appreciated...
Ali

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.