Passing a parameter into a query string

Tjk

Code in main page...
[code]
<?
$var= 1;
?>
<form method="POST" action="map.php">
<input type="image" src="imagecreate2.php?var='$var'" height="300" width= "300" />
</form>
[/code]

Code in image create...
[code]

if(isset($_GET['var'])){
    $var= $_GET['var'];
  }

mysql_query("SELECT * from table WHERE id='$var'") or die(mysql_error());

//does something to an image and outputs it using imagepng($img);
[/code]

The problem is that the image now doesn't load on the main page. Could anyone point out where I'm going wrong?

Regards
-Tjk

Sure. Here it is....

[taken from imagecreate2.php]
[code]
<?
  $im= imagecreatefrompng('maptemp.png');

if(isset($_GET['battle'])){
    $battle= $_GET['battle'];
  }

mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password")or die(mysql_error());
  mysql_select_db("database");

$query= mysql_query("SELECT * from battles WHERE battle='$battle'")or die(mysql_error());
  while($row= mysql_fetch_array($query)){
    $unit= $row['unit'];
    $unitx= $row['xcoord'];
    $unity= $row['ycoord'];

$lcoordx= $unitx- 5;
    $lcoordy= $unity - 5;

$rcoordx= $unitx + 5;
    $rcoordy= $unity + 5;

$color= imagecolorallocate($im, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF);  
    imagefilledrectangle($im, $lcoordx, $lcoordy, $rcoordx, $rcoordy, $color);
  }
  imagepng($im);
?>
[/code]

You're missing the "header()" function that tells the web browser to expect image data:
Add the following line to your funtion
[code]<?php    header('Content-type: image/png'); ?>[/code] before the line [code]<?php imagepng($im); ?>[/code]

Ken

I've added the header() function just above imagepng($im) and it doesn't work.

Before I added the parameter into the query string for imagecreate2.php when I was just using a mysql statement with no WHERE condition everything was working fine and the map loaded. It was only when I added the parameter and to allow for the WHERE condition that it no longer works. Any ideas?

Help appreciated as always.

i don't see in your script where you are passing the battle variable to your imagecreate2.php script. it seems as though when you do this:

if(isset($_GET['battle'])){
$battle= $_GET['battle'];
}

$_GET['battle'] is not set, and therefore $battle is never set, either, so when you do your query, it selects nothing.

edit: did you mean to do $_GET['var'] ?

@ Crayon Violent: Earlier in the script the variable $battle is defined. Sorry, the original code I posted was a test script I set up to test if it was something wrong with my code. Everything is identical except in my example I used $var instead of $battle. $battle is definately set within the main script and ready to pass via the query string into the image creation script.

I'm using a script called 'map.php' and through the img src I'm calling the script imagecreate2.php to generate the image.

@joquius: I need the variable $battle to be set at all times so an else isn't really an option.

I just took a closer look at the original code you posted:
[code]<?php
$var= 1;
?>
<form method="POST" action="map.php">
<input type="image" src="imagecreate2.php?var='$var'" height="300" width= "300" />
</form>[/code]
Notice that the "<input>" line is outside the PHP tags, so you are passing the literal string "[b]'$var'[/b]" to your script, not the value of [b][!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]$var[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--][/b].
What you really should have there is:
[code]<input type="image" src="imagecreate2.php?var=<?php echo $var; ?>" height="300" width= "300" />[/code]
If you look at the generated source before and after you've made this change, you should see the difference.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.