sendmail and AOL

benwhitmore

hi peeps,

my send mail code works fine with any email address except for AOL ones. My customer assures me that it isnt in the junk folder either. Any clues?

[code]

<?

//set up the mail
$recipient = "someone@aol.com"."\r\n\r\n";
$subject = "Contact Request";
$headers  = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
   $headers .= "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n";
   $headers .= "X-Priority: 3\n";
   $headers .= "X-MSMail-Priority: Normal\n";
   $headers .= "X-Mailer: php\n";
   $headers .= "From: \"".$_POST[name]."\" <".$_POST[emailaddress].">\r\n\r\n";

//send the mail
mail($recipient, $subject, $msg, $headers);

?>
[/code]

thanks in advance for looking!

[!--quoteo(post=382269:date=Jun 10 2006, 01:38 PM:name=benwhitmore)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(benwhitmore @ Jun 10 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]382269[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
just to add,

the email definitely does not go into the junk email box. any ideas still?

Can i trace the message maybe?
[/quote]

It's could be because of AOL's new restrictions to supposedly fight spam. You have to pay to be on an AOL user's "White list" of acceptable email addresses.

(from slashdot.org news site)

tiltowait wrote to mention a report on MSNBC's site stating that AOL and Yahoo are both planning to introduce a for-pay way to circumvent their spam filters. From the article: "The fees, which would range from 1/4 cent to 1 cent per e-mail, are the latest attempts by the companies to weed out unsolicited ads, commonly called spam, and identity-theft scams. In exchange for paying, e-mail senders will be guaranteed their messages won't be filtered and will bear a seal alerting recipients they're legitimate."

-when sending mail from php, to stop it's classificaton as spam, you should add this to the mail header:
'From: username@yourdomain.com'

-A friend of mine on aol says that only items on the user 'white list' make it through, other items are deleted without even going into a spam folder and are unretrivable.

-Even though you might set the 'From:' as above, the mail may be recognized as actually coming from a name assigned by your php mail function. To find that out, send an email from there to a bogus email address. You should recieve a error message in your email account that you registered with your web host as an 'undeliverable email' that will specify the actual 'from' email address being used by the email daemon.

thanks for your comments guys.

After tralling through AOL, i guess their whitelist system sucks for small time programmers like me. They want 1 cent per email sent from my webform.

So, following a suggestion from mainewoods (thanks), I hard coded the FROM email address into my script and it worked.

Basically I changed the script to:-

[code]
<?

//set up the mail
$recipient = "someone@aol.com"."\r\n\r\n";
$subject = "Contact Request";
$headers  = "MIME-Version: 1.0\n";
   $headers .= "Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\n";
   $headers .= "X-Priority: 3\n";
   $headers .= "X-MSMail-Priority: Normal\n";
   $headers .= "X-Mailer: php\n";
$mailheaders .= "From: Someones Web Site <someone@anemailaddress.com> \n";

//send the mail
mail($recipient, $subject, $msg, $headers);

?>
[/code]

thanks for looking into this guys, great forum... remember to donate! :)

SOLVED

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.