[SOLVED] Dedicated Server Specs

proggR

What are the average specs on a decent dedicated server/VPS.

I keep seeing numbers that are surprisingly low but its all across the board.

Even the $319 a month dedicated servers have only 1GB of RAM, Core 2 Duo and a 250GB drive.

I mean realistically you can buy a cheap computer with better specs than that for under a grand. What makes servers so special (aside not having to pay overage charges on your residential internet bill). Is it really just a matter of T3/Fiber over cable?

Modern datacenters will have high speed internet connections, backup power using UPSs and power generators, redundant components to maximize uptime, physical security using biometric security, fire protection and prevention systems, air conditioning to control temperature and humidity, and 24/7 onsite staff to monitor and fix things.

Check out this: http://www.adc.com/Library/Literature/102264AE.pdf

Cool. Some of the descriptions reminded me of the Road Runner supercomputer and the images that went along with the article I read.

I forgot to take into consideration the measures to maintain 100% uptime.

Thanks for the overview. Its been a good read so far :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.