PHPFreaks Tutorials Wishlist

the purpose of this thread is to open tutorial topics to suggestion from some of the users of the forum.  be precise about what you'd be interested in learning - any vague topics will be ignored.  i would also urge new users to get in on this, letting us know what you find difficult to grasp being new to PHP, or what you struggled with most while learning through development.

that being said, have at it with your suggestions.  keep in mind, i will be deleting unhelpful posts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, can I add one to the wishlist please ...

PHPFreaks used to have an old tutorial called Creating a membership system which was lost in the problems that happend a while back (so I been told.) This tutorial showed you how to create a membership system for your site. E.g. Users create logins, have password recovery, sessions, and much more. I was wondering if we could add this to the wish list in the hope that one (or more) guru(s) will share his/her powerful knowledge with us newbies.

Thanks.

these two were the most popular (i think) of almost any of our tutorials.  i will see what we can do about re-writing perhaps a trimmed-down version of the one that existed.  i wrote the follow-up tutorial which showed readers how to let users update their profiles, but it had terrible practices.

• 1 month later...

Honestly I don't really see anybody writing a tutorial like that on a technical level (actual code).  Maybe on some kind of abstract level, like conveying general principles and program flow and good design, advice and pitfalls, etc.. but most tutorials that involve actual code are for teaching how to make building blocks.  Things like forums and blogs and cms' are more like actual buildings, not building blocks. 

If you sit down and break down for instance all the things in a forum, you will quite easily find tutorials for just about all of those 'building blocks.'  I suggest you either do that, or maybe find an open source version of one of those things and jump into it, instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Relational database theory and best practices.

I've read subjects on normalization, using lookup tables, pk/fk ideas.. etc.. But some of it's not easily understandable, or the reasons are not clear.  For instance, Barand's tutorial about Data Joins was good, I realized I should use them, and how they can be applied.. but I didn't quite grasp why the tables were separated as such.

Also, on the same topic, better ways of getting a result from joined tables to display in HTML output through php loops.  How to properly join the tables is the main part; the outputting of the data, I can't think of a complicated example at this moment.

Relational database theory and best practices.

I've read subjects on normalization, using lookup tables, pk/fk ideas.. etc.. But some of it's not easily understandable, or the reasons are not clear.  For instance, Barand's tutorial about Data Joins was good, I realized I should use them, and how they can be applied.. but I didn't quite grasp why the tables were separated as such.

Also, on the same topic, better ways of getting a result from joined tables to display in HTML output through php loops.  How to properly join the tables is the main part; the outputting of the data, I can't think of a complicated example at this moment.

I was thinking about writing a Database Normalization tutorial, so we'll see what happens.

I'd like to see a tutorial on using formatted strings and their functions' differences

Such as:

# printf()

# sscanf()

# fscanf()

# vsprintf()

But mostly how to correctly use the type specifiers.

Does a tutorial really warrant that?  I mean, it's clearly stated how to use them all in the manual, and they're practically the same in every language that offers such a function, so previous knowledge could also come into play.  I mean, if there's a high demand for it, I could write one on it, but idk.

• 3 weeks later...

Not too shure about an OS tutorial, especially on Linux.

With the different types of distros out there, ya will find a tutorial concentrating on one distribution. As such its installation procedures.

And Believe me some installations of Linux itself can painful. (Not to mention if the network connectivity isnt set up, how to get help).

ya may consider using a small linux distro (DSL) or a virtual PC (VirtualBox) to get ya started in linux, cuz a simple setup and accessibility to help is no doubt a requirement for new users.

• 3 weeks later...

Bitwise user permissions.

I've saw a post in reply to a topic that had an example, but couldn't find it again (searched: bitwise)..  But it would be nice to see a small implementation of user permissions for actions using a bitwise function check etc.

If no one else wants to take this one up, I'll do it.  I've made quite a few posts on bitwise user permissions actually, so I think I could handle it.  After I finish this damn regex tutorial though (part 2 is ALMOST done; it should be done before Wednesday hopefully).

• 1 month later...

Here's an idea for a short article and I know it would help a lot of new people, have an article listing all possible errors that PHP may throw at you and explain how to fix them, or what to look for. I think a lot of people would like that and you may not get as many questions about the errors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A login script is essentially so simple that it's not even worth dedicating a tutorial for that. Stuff involved is essentially form processing, database access and sessions/cookies. We have a tutorial for sessions and cookies and we have one for database access and another one focusing on joins and unions. Then you have form processing, but that's fairly straightforward. You simply read from the $_GET or $_POST superglobal. You might also be interested in this blog post that talks about breaking a script/application down into logical elements the same way I just did.

• 3 weeks later...