Apache installed...now what

Butt McFloyd

Okay here\'s my goals. and i\'m wondering if its all impossible

know when you\'re on a page and it says

Index of: /***/****

and has a load of files and folders underneath it

thats what i want. i want to be able to go to a place online, wherever it may be, and have a folder be displayed with the contents. i hear apache can let me do that (goal #1)

I\'d like to be able to drag and drop files to a folder on my PC to \"upload\" them to the index type page. if thats possible.. (goal #2)

i have apache installed and i dunno what to do. I know i gotta edit the conf. file but i don\'t know what to edit.

any help is great. i\'m completely new at this too so dont bitch at me. its more of a question of possibility..

later

OK, lets start at the bottom and work upwards:

Configuring Apache to work on your machine - Take a look at the tutorials, scroll to the bottom of the page and select the one that is appropriate for your OS and it will explain how to configure it.

Drag and drop uploads can be done but need a bit of coding to set them up - you might consider using an FTP server on your machine also, you can open a browser to that and drag and drop will work right out of the box.

Displaying the contents of a directory is simple enough ... The setup of the httpd.conf (the apache configuration file) defines which files go active if someone browses to a directory. On my test server I have index.html set up so if that file exists it will open automatically. On folders where I want to be able to browse directories, I simply rename the index file to index.htm - it will still work but no longer opens automatically so I can browse the directory.

One thing you haven\'t mentioned in all this is security. Please bear in mind that these steps will leave the machine wide open to abuse from internet, so you need to consider at least password protection to prevent this (assuming that the machine is open to internet of course!)

Hope that helps!

D

okay that tutorial sucks

the directory to use in the prompt is wrong.. but i figured it out

now it says to type mysqladmin in the prompt, and make a new test database, (which i dunno what that is) i can\'t create it because it syas i dont have access..like some password i\'m guessing

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.