Tech writer?

bilis_money

hi old timers

I noticed some of the freelancing sites the "Tech Writer" has very expensive service charge rate.

I'm really not very familiar with Tech Writer.

so maybe you can tell me what the purpose of this level.

What is Tech WRiter all about? what a Tech WRiter do?

Is this also a programmer?

what his mean tasks & responsibilities?

i hope you can explain this to me because i have really no idea a Tech Writer do.

thanks in advance.

actually i tried wikipedia Andy B but i don't know how to use it.
so thank you very much for that link.

so you mean by reading wiki pedia is this mean that we all programmer's are possible to be a Technical
WRiter too? All we need to do is Very Excellent English grammar?

And also thru Wiki Pedia Technical Writer's are also a programmer with many technical know how
is these correct?

So you mean you can't be possible to be a Technical Writer if you don't have these abilities?

Basically a Tech Writer does things like write the "how to" manuals that go along with products/scripts/whatever. Don't take that statement as a downplay on their job.

A Tech Writer has to be more or less an expert in everything about the product, but also be very, very good at writing in (example) English, AND he has to be able to communicate it to the targeted audience.

It is one thing to be able to write a script. It is another thing to explain it to another expert. It is still another thing to explain it to someone who is not an expert.

well mostly because being a tech writer usually means having multiple degrees in multiple fields. If someone goes to college to be an English major and goes on to be some kind of writer (journalist, teacher, whatever), they would expect to be paid a certain amount of money for their expertise. Now if this same person were to ALSO go to college and major in say, computer science, they would also expect to be paid a certain amount of money for that, as well. So, if they get say, 40k a year to be either an English teacher OR a programmer...well, if you went through the time and effort to learn both, wouldn't you expect to be getting paid more money?

And it's not just the "I've gone through more college, so I should get more money" idea - I'd think it's more the fact that very few people are qualified and willing to take a job as a technical writer, and as such, are in high demand.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.