how to connect to remote mysql server from dreaweaver

Hi Vijayraj98,

I think you can not make a connection to a database from Dreamwaver.

Thinking that you want to make a query to your database and put the output on your webpage ?

You need to make a php script that will connect to your database, and make the query\'s that you need to show the output.

Have a nice day.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Vijayraj98,

I think you can not make a connection to a database from Dreamwaver.

Excuse me. Bullshit.

Dreamweaver MX would be worthless for development environments if it didn\'t have the ability to connect to a remote database for development.

When you define a site, you are given the option to specifiy document type, data connection, etc. If you need more information, or a walk-through, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I\'ve used Dreamweaver MX quite a bit, but I just started a job where they want me to update a site that uses some php.

I need to define a site, which I\'ve done before, but when I say that I am using php as a server language, how do I know what to specify as the folder where the dynamic pages will be processed?

Hope this makes sense. Opinions on best book or site to start with for Dreamweaver MX & php?

Many thanks!

I need to define a site, which I\'ve done before, but when I say that I am using php as a server language, how do I know what to specify as the folder where the dynamic pages will be processed?

You need a php enabled test server to parse your php.

Firstly is the php server you will be using to parse your php on your network or at a remote location.

If its on your network, map a drive to the folder where you store your webpages, i.e. a file with an alias set in (apache) http.conf.

If its on a remote server then the file will be your ftp upload driectory for your web space. Set up your login detail!

I must warn you if you are updating an already created php site, Dreamweaver has a habbit of doing some funny things with your code. always backup everything incase something goes wrong!!

Im not sure about others, but I personally find dreamweaver a pain when it comes to creating a php website, the inserting recordsets and all that stuff it just seems to make a meal out of the code, making it very dificult to know clearly what to edit if you want to change something manually, also there are a few bugs which i just dont have time for!

As far as WYSIWYG editors go, for design its great, but I always like to write my own php code rather than have dreamweaver do it for me, I know where I stand then!!

You asked about books, forget dreamweaver for php, learn to hard code life will be so much simpler for you in the long run believe me.

I have just finished reading \"Building a database driven website using php and mysql\" by \"Kevin Yank\" the book is truely marverlous.

Any general php book, or web tutorial will help you.

All the best

Rich

• 1 month later...
i am trying to connect to mysql server from my machine. The mysql server is on a remote machine. how can i go for it.

can someone help me. i want to do this in dreamweaver.

I had a problem when i first started doing this. I kept getting HTTP:// NOT FOUND.

If you're on a remote host, make sure you're using another ftp program (such as smartFTP which is free), because you're going to have to copy a folder over to the "www" folder on your server. they name of the folder is" _mmServerScripts".

For some reason, (at least on my host), the folder will not copy itself atomatically into the www folder.

Just a tip. Took me quite a while to figure that out. Want to save you from the same hassle.

Shaun McKinnon

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.