Absolute Newbie -- what to do with PHP website?

Hello All,

I am a novice programmer and completely new to PHP.  My friend had a website built for him by some contractors a while ago, and is now looking to make some modifications to that site.  He has the active code, which he gave to me, but I am unsure how to load this project into _any_ IDE and work with it.  he gave me a folder with the following layout:

www/  (i think this is the entire Apache folder)

- cgi-bin/

- error/

- html/  (and this should be where all the PHP lives)

- _configuration/

- configuration.inc.php

- configuration_pro.inc.php

- configuration.sample.inc.php

- database/

- definitions/

- _files/

- index.html

- _logs/

- wwwroot/

- about_us.php

- about_us.tpl.php

- admin/

- assets/

- captcha/

- cart/

- _devtools/

- codegen.php

- codegen_settings.xml

- _README.txt

- doc/

- drafts/

- dtrMostDocs.tpl.php

- dtrRequests.tpl.php

- footer.inc.php

- forgot_password/

- header.inc.php

- includes/

- IndexForm.class.php

- index.php

- index.tpl.php

- icons/

- manual/

- usage/

/www/html/wwwroot/_devtools/_README.txt:

This directory contains the web-based drivers for Qcodo's development tools:

* codegen.php - the Qcodo CodeGen web-based driver.  It uses the QCodeGen and

related Qcodo codegen libraries to do the bulk of the work.  The index.php

file simply instantiates a QCodeGen object, executes the various public

methods on it to do the code generation, and creates a report of its

activities in a nicely formatted HTML page.  It uses the codegen_settings.xml

file as the "settings" to use for codegenning.

* (future tools tba)

Feel free to alter the settings, inputs and/or outputs of any of the drivers

as you wish.

I've tried opening some of these files in PHPEclipse, but I always get some weird error.  I tried installing PDT on my machine, but the All-in-One solution didn't work because I am running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS x64, and they only offer the x86 version.  I tried installing via Eclipse updates, but ran into dependency hell issues  :-\.

so, basically, I'm hoping someone out there can tell me where to get started.  Is there any IDE or text-editor that will help me make some sense of this mound of data?  For a quick and dirty project, I'd like to use the "Contact Us" link in the footer and point it to a newly created form that I create.  This form would be a basic "Contact Us" form that would invoke the SMTP server and send the form data to a specified email address.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!  If you need any more info, please let me know and I'll be happy to provide that.

Thank you in advance,

`e

Qcodo is a PHP Framework, offical site here.

You can edit PHP files in any text editor, you do not need to use a specific IDE. I've not used eclipse much, however you should be able to create a new project and there should be an option for telling Eclipse where your file are located. Eclipse will then import your site for you.

hey wildteen, thanks for the reply.

i am aware that i can edit PHP in any text editor, but then I'm not sure how to piece the project together (where is the db, how do i debug, etc?).  i'll have to troll through some more introductory tutorials soon.  with eclipse, I've installed PHPEclipse, but have not been able to get it to work, so I'll have to keep at that too. 

I guess what I was looking for was some sort of *.project file that might tell the IDE how the project is laid out.  if you have any good sites for a newbie to get acquainted with with PHP, I'd love to hear about them.  thanks,

`e

I guess what I was looking for was some sort of *.project file that might tell the IDE how the project is laid out.

That will only be possible if the original developers created the site with PHPEclipse, and left the .project file

i am aware that i can edit PHP in any text editor, but then I'm not sure how to piece the project together (where is the db, how do i debug, etc?).  i'll have to troll through some more introductory tutorials soon.

The database will be stored in a different place, separate from your site files. In order to get the database you'll need to perform a database backup. Ask your host how to do this, or see if they'll do it for you.

if you have any good sites for a newbie to get acquainted with with PHP, I'd love to hear about them.  thanks,

Before doing any thing make sure you have a good understanding of the basics of PHP, and how PHP works with databases, such as MySQL. You'll want to learn up on the basics of MySQL too.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.