[SOLVED] [MYSQL 5.0] Views

Hooker

I was just wondering if it were possible to select the content's of a view into a table efficiently?

I'm currently generating the view like so:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW initial_check AS
   SELECT LEFT(tbr.Forename, 1) AS Forename, tbr.Surname, LEFT(tbr.Addr1, 5) AS Addr1, tbr.Postcode
   FROM test_suppress
   INNER JOIN tbr
      ON (LEFT(test_suppress.forename, 1)=LEFT(tbr.forename, 1)
      AND test_suppress.surname=tbr.surname
      AND LEFT(test_suppress.addr1, 5)=LEFT(tbr.addr1, 5)
      AND test_suppress.postcode=tbr.postcode)

Which only adds around 375 rows to the view but when i go to select the contents it takes 27 seconds to pull it all out.

1, 'SIMPLE', 'test_suppress', 'index', 'Surname,Postcode,test', 'db', '10', '', 29932, 'Using index'
1, 'SIMPLE', 'tbr', 'ref', 'Surname,Postcode,test', 'Postcode', '10', 'db.test_suppress.Postcode', 1, 'Using where'

It took about 30 seconds to generate the explain on the query against the view, the tables are only about 500,000 records big

1, 'PRIMARY', '<derived2>', 'ALL', '', '', '', '', 172, ''
1, 'PRIMARY', 'test_suppress', 'ref', 'Surname,Postcode', 'Postcode', '10', 'dup_checks.Postcode', 1, 'Using where'
2, 'DERIVED', 'test_suppress', 'ALL', 'Surname,Postcode', '', '', '', 152199, 'Using temporary; Using filesort'
2, 'DERIVED', 'tbr', 'ref', 'Surname,Postcode,Both', 'Postcode', '10', 'bandecote.test_suppress.Postcode', 1, 'Using where'

I've only got experiance of views in foxpro and there, they are alot more efficient.

yea, i'm trying to work out how to get the view to use the index's from the query that generated it.

The query that generates it runs in under 3 seconds consistently, the query that i use the view within runs in 0.3 seconds consistently when it's querying a normal table but for some reason the actual view seems to ditch the index's completely.

I've been looking around and found a couple of mentions of being able to force the view to use index's but no explinations/examples.. anyone have a clue?

Here are the actual queries by the way:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW dup_checks AS
   SELECT LEFT(tbr.Forename, 1) AS Forename, tbr.Surname, LEFT(tbr.Addr1, 5) AS Addr1, tbr.Postcode
   FROM tablea
   INNER JOIN tbr
      ON (LEFT(tablea.forename, 1)=LEFT(tbr.forename, 1)
      AND tablea.surname=tbr.surname
      AND LEFT(tablea.addr1, 5)=LEFT(tbr.addr1, 5)
      AND tablea.postcode=tbr.postcode)
   GROUP BY tbr.Postcode;

UPDATE tablea
  INNER JOIN dup_checks
    ON (LEFT(tablea.forename, 1)=dup_checks.forename
    AND tablea.surname=dup_checks.surname
    AND LEFT(tablea.addr1, 5)=dup_checks.addr1
    AND tablea.postcode=dup_checks.postcode)
SET tablea.dupe="TBR";

DROP VIEW dup_checks;

Because the tables can run into the millions (and potentialy hundreds of millions) of records the idea was the dump the matching records into a temp table and then run an update on "tablea" with the resulting set but the insert's into the temp table were taking alot of time which is why i'm looking into views.

No luck, and ontop of that mysql has stopped using the index's for the "test_suppress" (tablea) table:

1, 'SIMPLE', 'test_suppress', 'ALL', 'Surname,Postcode', '', '', '', 152199, 'Using temporary; Using filesort'
1, 'SIMPLE', 'tbr', 'ref', 'Surname,Postcode,test', 'Postcode', '10', 'db.test_suppress.Postcode', 1, 'Using where'

• 3 weeks later...

Ok... seems to work for me... try this:

CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW dup_checks AS
   FROM test_suppress 
   INNER JOIN tbr use index (`both`)
      ON (test_suppress.surname=tbr.surname
            AND test_suppress.postcode=tbr.postcode)
where LEFT(test_suppress.forename, 1)=LEFT(tbr.forename, 1) AND LEFT(test_suppress.addr1, 5)=LEFT(tbr.addr1, 5)

And

select * from test_suppress 
  INNER JOIN dup_checks use index (`both`)
      ON (test_suppress.surname=dup_checks.surname
            AND test_suppress.postcode=dup_checks.postcode)
where LEFT(test_suppress.forename, 1)=LEFT(dup_checks.forename, 1) AND LEFT(test_suppress.addr1, 5)=LEFT(dup_checks.addr1, 5)

Hope that helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.