Photo

I am just starting PHP. Is DreamWeaver MX a good tool?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 dereko

dereko
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 23 February 2004 - 12:18 AM

I learned PHP and HTML(orXHTML) by hand coding first and I think you will never go far in the industry unless you do this.

Now that I have learned these sufficently I now use tools based on how much time they will save me. In general any web app or dynamic website is going to have a HTML/CSS user interface. For me dreamweaver is ideal for this side of things, hand coding everthing in HTML is not cost effective anymore for anyone.

Dreamweaver's build in PHP/MySQL functions are poor at best and I think it is best to stay away from them. I usually just write it all by hand in dreamweaver, as it still has nice syntax highlighting, shortcuts for previewing pages, site management as well as intergrated FTP which is a must as most sites exist on external servers.

For all general editing purposes I use EditPlus (IMHO the only text editor you would ever need) which also has syntax hightlighting, and integrated FTP support.

I've been trying to find good extensions to make life easier for writing PHP code and VDaemon appears to have some good stuff although have not fully tested them.

I have to admit I have never worked in the Zend Studio enviroment and possible I should try it out. I use Windows XP/Apache2/PHP/Mysql for my development and syncronize with the live site usually on Linux/Apache/PHP/mysql.

Would people say it is worth my while investing in Zend Studio?

[br]Jeebers[br][span style=\'font-size:9pt;line-height:100%\']eBusiness Solutions[/span][br]

"I like dogs.....  Dogs are smart, you never see a dog walk in a human sh*t!"

#22 mumanc

mumanc
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2004 - 04:50 PM

I suggest u should try to get used to using Dreamweaver, cause it's gonna be (and it has been) a very popular and may be no.1 HTML graphical editor, and it will increase its features to be able to support most of the popular scripting language, as it has been with ASP, and next with PHP (in MX 2004).

Of sourse, its ability to preview the page as how it will be displayed in the browser is the main reason you should use it Meanwhile, you can make spaces in the page for your PHP script that can be typed in its code view. So, i figure out using just notepad for the time being is very unefficient, because there are a bunch of tools out there (Dreamweaver is one of them) that can reduce much of your time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users