and in it i have a simple little form like so:
[code]
<form action='/home/blah/functions/authenticate.php' method='post'>
   Email <input name='User_Email' type="text" size="3" class="login">
   Pw <input name='User_Pw' type="password" size="3" class="login">
   <input type="submit" value=">>">
</form>
[/code]

so as you can see by the action i'm trying to post the variables to a file that is not in /public_html/...

however, when i click on the submit button, i get a 404 error. Now I know that the file really is there and it is spelled correctly, etc.. so what i need to know is if I am simply not using the correct path (and if not, then how do i do it right) or if it is even possible to post data like this?

It's all relative ... whenever I want to quickly get the .. and the / sorted out, I use the feature in my editor to let me link to another script and navigate there. Once I have the right relative link to the file I want, it's obvious how to use it.

If you want to check to see whether you're path is correct or not I suggest trying to echo $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] which will let you know what you need. If you're in the right path but it still isn't working check for the files ownership, I think in this case it needs to be accessible by nobody. Finally it might be worth talking to your host if you haven't done this before because I don't think I can run files outside of my public_html, at least last attempt ended in failure...

One more thing, it may not be worth using a function outside your public in this case becaues you'll be revealing to anyone who wants to "view code" your page what your directory structure looks like.

i can include the file no problem. i include files in this exact manner. in fact, that's why i used that path in my action, because i can include the file using that path, and it works. so i thought i could post to it just the same. obviously i can't. so what i need to know is, if there is some alternate path i must use to post to it, or if it is not possible to do this at all.

Why not post to a dummy page, something like form_data.html in your public directory, thereby avoiding the problem of giving snooping users a glimpse of your structure and then have that page grab the post data and set it to a session or something, then redirect or include the page you really want?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.