SEO in general

Derleek

I know absolutely nothing about this stuff.

can some one throw some solid resources my way.

I'll be personally looking into this in the near future, i was just wondering if anyone had any reliable resources i don't have to dig up! heh...

I think one of the best SEO "tricks" is to have clean XHTML content. If you look at a website that separates it's content from its style, the content is report-like in nature. For instance, if you take a look at www.csszengarden.com, and any of the different styles that have been applied to its content, and then turn off the style, the result is a pure report-like web page. In Firefox you can use view->style->no style to turn off the style of a page, but to really see what googlebot or the other bots are seeing, you need to turn off javascript, images, and Flash also.

I know that Adobe and Google have been working on ways that Google can index Flash content, but being able to provide alternate content has always been an option. The same goes for javascript and images. Noscript tags and alt attributes have long been the friend of the SEO conscious web developer.

A great book that I recommend to anyone learning SEO is called "Web Standards Design Guide" by Kevin Ruse. While the book isn't specifically about SEO, understanding the book and applying it to your websites will greatly increase the SEO scores/rankings, probably more so than many techniques you will learn elsewhere.

@ignace

Progressive Enhancement is actually a term that I had never seen. I read a bit of the wiki, and while progressive enhancement seems geared towards browsers, SEO is obviously geared towards search engine bots. The strategy within progressive enhancement is very similar to the type of SEO that I have learned over time, if you consider that the search engine bot is the most basic of "browsers". In that regard, if more people were focused on writing good content, and spent less time making things sparkle, glitter, and shine, they would generally have a webpage that could be viewed in any browser, and it would naturally be well suited for a search engine bot to index. Bot's obviously look at image alt tags and look for alternate content within noscript tags, etc., but the actual text on the page has the highest value.

Hello everyone. Been a lurker for some time and I'm working with php sites now so I thought I come back and start checking out some info I needed. Coincidentally I found this new forum... I mean coincidentally because the sites that I'm working on are all php based and I need to work the SEO for them... great idea to put this forum here!

Going back to the original post...

If anyone else is interested, I have been keeping tabs on a bunch of stuff I follow for SEO. I use delicious and different tags and stuff so if anyone is interested, just use the RSS for any of these to see what I find...

- delicious

- find me under "muychingon"

- look for tags - seo, directory

@FilmGod

Yeah... but they had to start somewhere, its not like myspace was born with as many users as it has... or was it?

anywho, they dont have to bother with it anymore at this point but they very likely had to at the start-up phases

• 3 weeks later...

@FilmGod

Yeah... but they had to start somewhere, its not like myspace was born with as many users as it has... or was it?

Actually, myspace was jumpstarted by the company spamming 3 million people encouraging them to join up, so in a way they were born with a large amount of users.

I agree with FilmGod, some companies don't care about SEO because they've reached their tipping point some other way, and don't need to spend resources and money splitting hairs for a bit more SEO traffic. If you are just starting out you may need that kickstart, but focus on building something people will find interesting, not search engines.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

SEO is important, but don't tell me that myspace or facebook have done SEO - instead they became so popular that google assigned them an authoritative page rank. - Some food for thought.

Yeah, it's true. Make your visitors come back then your website will survive and grow

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So were talkin about SEO...

1) Backlinks is one of the most important think you will need to do. It's how you can get better rankings.

http://forums*digitalpoint*com/

...replace * with .

There are way better forums but DP is good for those who know very little.

2) Keywords.

This is also very important. You can reaserch best searched keywords or most related here:

https://adwords*google*com/select/KeywordToolExternal

There are lots of more things you need to know but I think you can learn basics of them in forum I showed you above.

• 2 months later...

Found a nice plug in for Firefox called (oddly enough - SEO for Firefox). After installation, simply visit the site of your choice, then in the top menu, go to Tools > SEO for Firefox > Seo XRay. Makes hunting down which SEO related tags easier to spot (good for rapid SEO trouble shooting).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.