4 replies to this topic

#1 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:14 AM

Using FF, my status window permanently displays a 'transferring data from something.kontera.com' message unless I hover over a link on the page. Is there really data being transferred? What data? Why?
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:20 AM

sounds like you have a plugin installed. i went to kontera.com and it's an advertising thing that automatically turns keywords into popup ads.

from the site:
[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
A contextually relevant keyword that is discovered in real-time on a web page from within Kontera┬┤s vast network of publishers, and is automatically turned into a link to the most relevant ad from among Kontera┬┤s thousands of advertisers.
[/quote]
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 13 June 2006 - 06:55 AM

[!--quoteo(post=383081:date=Jun 13 2006, 04:20 AM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ Jun 13 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
sounds like you have a plugin installed. i went to kontera.com and it's an advertising thing that automatically turns keywords into popup ads.

from the site:
[/quote]
Kontera is installed on the forums, Crayon Violent, not on his machine. My browser does that too sometimes Andy, although the little processing indicator at the top right doesn't continue to spin... Does that mean that it's no longer actually transfering data and the page has just glitched?

#4 poirot

poirot
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 646 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:05 PM

It's very annoying, and only happens with Firefox.

There are some other sites that do this with Firefox, but not IE.
~ D Kuang

#5 Koobi

Koobi
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationColombo, Sri Lanka | South Asia

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

i don't have IE but i get a lot of annoying javascript messages on Firefox so i mostly use Elinks to browse PHPfreaks.

i think it has to do with Ajax in Firefox for linux because I have the same problem when I send attachments via Gmail in Firefox on linux.

Elinks works fine though once you get used to the UI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users