Search Engine Optimization Tips And Tricks

The Little Guy

Here are some few tips to get a better rank in search engines:

1. Don't pay someone to get you listed in 50 different search engines, because 90% of search engine traffic comes from: Google, Yahoo, and MSN others come from other but some of them just get their results from Google, Yahoo, and MSN. So just go to those three and post your free information to get ranked.

http://google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl - Add to Google

http://search.yahoo.com/free/request - Add to Yahoo

http://search.msn.com/docs/submit.aspx - Add to MSN/Live

http://whatuseek.com/addurl.shtml - Add to WhatUSeek

Google has a site map tool that will allow you to tell google exactly what pages it should look for, then within a week or two, it will try and have indexed those pages. You can find this tool here: https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps

2. Use good title tag "Keywords" write them in a "Keyword" format, for example:

Daily News: finance news, business news, current events

Sports Connection: baseball, football, basketball

Book Nook: rare book, collector book, first print book

Duplicate title tags isn't proper HTML, but it doesn't cause any errors.  Use title duplication to add more keywords.

3. Use hidden text fields to add more information to your page that you do not want the common visitor to see. Doing this, some search engines will read that, and use it to gather search results. another way, would be to place the text in a div, and set the font size to 1, and make the div hidden, along with making the font color the same as the background you place it on. This will allow you to hide the text, and if the user is using no css, then that is when the 1pt font comes in, it is small so doesn't bother your page much, and it is hidden in the background.

4. Submit your site to other places, such as Guides/Lists/Directories, such as http://www.dmoz.org/ just search to a relative area that your site is believed to be under, then submit it using their submit button.

5. A good use of key words and descriptions on your pages will also help in your search engine rankings. Using words that relate to your page will boost its ranking, but using words repeatedly may cause a search engine that assume that you are trying to spam, just to boost your rank. For a good description, use something with at least 10-15 words minimum, and some search engines stop reading words after about 200-250 characters.

There is a book out there called Increase Your Web Traffic in a Weekend, I do recommend reading this, it deals with more than just search engines, but it basically has what I said plus more.

Good Luck!

Feel free to add to this!

Duplicate title tags isn't proper HTML, but it doesn't cause any errors.  Use title duplication to add more keywords.

I think if you don't follow transitional or strict doc type google knocks you.

3. Use hidden text fields to add more information to your page that you do not want the common visitor to see. Doing this, some search engines will read that, and use it to gather search results. another way, would be to place the text in a div, and set the font size to 1, and make the div hidden, along with making the font color the same as the background you place it on. This will allow you to hide the text, and if the user is using no css, then that is when the 1pt font comes in, it is small so doesn't bother your page much, and it is hidden in the background.

Easy to just say

<div style="
display:none; 
position:absolute;
left:0px;
top:0px;
z-index:-1;
">
Some extra key works
</div>

It will be hidden at 0,0 not display behind all other layers

Good tips though being on 50 search engines is pointless if 90% of the ppl use google or yahoo or msn

I wouldn't follow all of The Little Guy's advices. Some of them are known as "blackhat SEO techniques" and you'll risk getting banned by the search engine (i.e. no links to your site will display on the SERPs whatsoever). Things like cloaking (showing some content for users and other content for web crawlers) and keyword stuffing (trying to squeeze as many keywords on the page as possible (this is especially the case if they're more or less irrelevant) to increase rankings) both fall into that category.

The points I'm specifically referring to are number three and the thing about duplicate title tags.

I wouldn't follow all of The Little Guy's advices. Some of them are known as "blackhat SEO techniques" and you'll risk getting banned by the search engine (i.e. no links to your site will display on the SERPs whatsoever). Things like cloaking (showing some content for users and other content for web crawlers) and keyword stuffing (trying to squeeze as many keywords on the page as possible (this is especially the case if they're more or less irrelevant) to increase rankings) both fall into that category.

The points I'm specifically referring to are number three and the thing about duplicate title tags.

Yea I agree, I was watching a video on youtube by Matt Cutts (from Google) who says not a good idea to do that.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.