Apostrophe problem

robertboyle

Hi,

I have the following code:

[code]$sec = "Répertoires d'objets multimédias";
mysql_query("SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec=\"$sec\" ORDER BY st ASC",$db);  [/code]

and it returns 0 rows. When I use another $sec value, one that doesn't contain an apostrophe ('), it returns normal rows. How can I fix that?

Thanks.

Robert

ll

[!--quoteo(post=383128:date=Jun 13 2006, 07:06 AM:name=robert-boyle)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(robert-boyle @ Jun 13 2006, 07:06 AM) [snapback]383128[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Hi,

I have the following code:

[code]$sec = "Répertoires d'objets multimédias";
mysql_query("SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec=\"$sec\" ORDER BY st ASC",$db);  [/code]

and it returns 0 rows. When I use another $sec value, one that doesn't contain an apostrophe ('), it returns normal rows. How can I fix that?

Thanks.

Robert

ll
[/quote]

Try using a back slash after it '\

You dont use database connection $db on the select query

Also silly me you dont have to backslash with the double quotes in place.

[code]

//database connection here ok.

$sec = "Répertoires d'objets multimédias";

$query="SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec='$sec' ORDER BY st ASC";

$result=mysql_query($query);

[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=383152:date=Jun 13 2006, 08:17 AM:name=joquius)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(joquius @ Jun 13 2006, 08:17 AM) [snapback]383152[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Actually you can add the link in the mysql_query function, if 2 mysql connection are made to specific which to use. If there's only one connection you can leave it empty.
[/quote]

didnt no that cheers did my code make any diffrence

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]You dont use database connection $db on the select query

Also silly me you dont have to backslash with the double quotes in place.[/quote]

Yes, I do, because there's an apostrophe: if i use: '$sec', MySQL will think the query is cut at the apostrophe in "..d'objets...".

The database connection is fine, it works with other values. redarrow, where do i put the backslash?

This is the query output: SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec="Répertoires_d'objets_multimédias" ORDER BY st ASC

It should be working, but it isn't. WHY?

Thanks.

What a huge name lol i dont no.
$sec = 'Répertoires d'objets multimédias';

Try that echo the query and post ok.

[code]

$sec = 'Répertoires d'objets multimédias';

[/code]

or this ok

[code]

$sec = 'Répertoires d'\objets multimédias';

[/code]

Always use the function [a href=\"http://www.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string\" target=\"_blank\"]mysql_real_escape_string()[/a] when dealling with strings and mysql. This function will escape single and double quotes and other characters that might cause problems with mysql. It will also work with all character encodings.

[code]<?php
$q = "SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec='" . mysql_real_escape_string($sec). '" ORDER BY st ASC";
$rs = mysql_query($q,$db) or die("Problem with the query: $q<br>" . mysql_error());
?>[/code]

Ken

Hi,

It doesn't seem to be working.

Again, here's what I have:

[code]
mysql_query("SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec=\"$sec\" ORDER BY st ASC",$db);
[/code]

The corresponding "sec" in the db is "Répertoires d'objets multimédias".

Affected rows for this query=0. Works with other queries with no apostrophe.

Thanks

It's here: [a href=\"http://bluleb.com/dir/?lok\" target=\"_blank\"]http://bluleb.com/dir/?lok[/a]

Try clicking on a link with no apostrophe, it displays results.

Try clicking on a link with apostrophe: no results shown.

It's here: [a href=\"http://bluleb.com/dir/?lok\" target=\"_blank\"]http://bluleb.com/dir/?lok[/a]

Try clicking on a link with no apostrophe, it displays results.

Try clicking on a link with apostrophe: no results shown.

[!--quoteo(post=383219:date=Jun 13 2006, 12:55 PM:name=kenrbnsn)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(kenrbnsn @ Jun 13 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]383219[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Always use the function [a href=\"http://www.php.net/mysql_real_escape_string\" target=\"_blank\"]mysql_real_escape_string()[/a] when dealling with strings and mysql. This function will escape single and double quotes and other characters that might cause problems with mysql. It will also work with all character encodings.

[code]<?php
$q = "SELECT * FROM dir WHERE sec='" . mysql_real_escape_string($sec). '" ORDER BY st ASC";
$rs = mysql_query($q,$db) or die("Problem with the query: $q<br>" . mysql_error());
?>[/code]

Ken
[/quote]
Have you done this?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.