#SOLVED# Filter Data and automatic Refresh

hphimmel

Hello!

Desperate programmer here.
I would like to show Filter in a Dropdown list. If user changes it, the page should refresh by itself.
If nothing is choosen, a standard query is set. This works (ok, is on the first run).

I do not have problems with Database. I can connect, I am able to set queries and they work.

What I tried, is this:

[code]
<?php
    session_start(); #hier Sessionauthorisierung mitsenden
    # Berechtigungsmapping abholen/get Permissionmapping from database (rwx)
    #include("../berechtigungskopf.inc.php");
    # ---------------------------------------------------- #
    # Ab hier Daten gemäß der Aufgabe abfragen/get server,user,password
    include("../dbdata.inc.php");
    @mysql_connect($server, $username, $password);
    # Datenbankverbindung aufnehmen/get connection
    @mysql_select_db($database) or die("Kann nicht mit Berechtigungsdatenbank verknüpfen");
    # Abfrage absetzen ----------------------------------- #
    if (!empty($_SESSION['subquery'])) {
        if ($_SESSION['subquery']=='FilterFamilienname') {
            $_SESSION['subquery'] =' ORDER BY Name'; } # standard
    $query="SELECT * FROM vw_Facharzt".$_SESSION['subquery']; }
    else {
    $query="SELECT * FROM vw_Facharzt"; }
    # ---------------------------------------------------- #
    # and so on
# now would come the grid and the many fields... again: NO prob.

?>
<html>
<head>
<title>dynamic filter test</title>
</head>
<body>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
    function hprocess(Filter)
    {    
        subquery=Filter;
        if (Filter=="FN") {
        subquery=" ORDER BY 'NAME'";
        }
        if (Filter=="FP") {
        subquery=" ORDER BY 'PLZ'"; }
        // etc
        alert(subquery); // just for testing and it works!    }
</script>

[/code]

The filtering part looks like this:
[code]
<?php
    $filterarten = array(
        "FL"=>"",
        "FN"=>"Familienname",
        "FP"=>"Postleitzahl",
        "FR"=>"Fachrichtung",
        "FM"=>"Mitglieder",
        "FI"=>"Mitglieder Inland",
        "FA"=>"Mitglieder Ausland",
        "FE"=>"Ehrenmitglieder",
        "FD"=>"Diplomierte"
        );
?>
<p>    
<form name="Filterform" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="get">      
    <select name="Filter" size="1" onChange="hprocess(this.form.Filter.options[this.form.Filter.selectedIndex].value)">
        <?php
            foreach ($filterarten as $key=>$element) {
            echo "<option value=$key>$element</option>";
            }
        ?>
    </select>
</p>
</form>

</body>
</html>
[/code]

Is there any hint, how I could manage it, that the filter (=subquery) is done on the same page - or it calls itself again with the right query.subquery combination?

Any suggestion? Anyone out there?

Hello?

Thanks a lot for Your patience ...

Henry

[!--quoteo(post=383211:date=Jun 13 2006, 01:46 PM:name=redarrow)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(redarrow @ Jun 13 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]383211[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
YOU NEED AJAX! MATE
[/quote]

AJAX is the name of a cleaning material in plastic bottles (in Austria) - I think, You mean something else [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":wink:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /] .

My provider has no AJAX, so my intention is good, but that is all.

Thanks for suggestion

Henry

[!--quoteo(post=383652:date=Jun 14 2006, 08:44 AM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ Jun 14 2006, 08:44 AM) [snapback]383652[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
no he really does mean AJAX. it is a javascript method of updating content "live" without having to submit and refresh the whole page. Go to www.ajaxfreaks.com for more details.
[/quote]

Well, thanks to both of you. I took a look on their page and it looks strange and broken. So I believe, that AJAX does not look the same on every computer, so I let the fingers from that (knowing the different sort of browser of my comrades...). Maybe the ajaxfriends do have other stylish probs...?

One more thing: I took my time now and looked over the tutorials more intensly. There is a lot of stuff and very good as I can say now. Congratulation. I love to learn but sometimes time is a pressure and ideas and technique do not match as easy as I want to. But ok.

I don't think AJAX is required... i'm doing what you want with PHP mixed with a FORM and a bit of Javascript.

I only use Javascript for the auto-reload of the page once the item is selected.
See what you want in action at: [a href=\"http://hitech.lead2gold.org/view_teams.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://hitech.lead2gold.org/view_teams.php[/a]

Here is a sample how i did 1 of the filters... it's based on building the where clause on the fly.
[code]
/*put this code in the upper section of your site */
/* Filters are saved to a session variable for smart memory feature */
if(isset($_FORM['tier_id'])){
  if($_FORM['tier_id']){
    $_SESSION['ftier_id'] = $_FORM['tier_id']; // store
    $_PAGE_SPECIFIC['filters'] .= " AND (t2s.tier_id = '".setDBvar($_FORM['tier_id'])."')";
    $p_info[sizeof($p_info)] = "Tier filter is on";
  }else{
    unset($_SESSION['ftier_id']);
  }
}else{
  if(isset($_SESSION['ftier_id'])){
    $_FORM['tier_id'] = $_SESSION['ftier_id'];
    $_PAGE_SPECIFIC['filters'] .= " AND (t2s.tier_id = '".setDBvar($_FORM['tier_id'])."')";
    $p_info[sizeof($p_info)] = "Tier filter is on";
  }
}
[/code]

Then build your sql statement

[code]
/* Generate Table Listings */
$sql =  "SELECT what.* FROM here";
$sql .= "WHERE siteID = 'AA'";
$sql .= $_PAGE_SPECIFIC['filters']; // apply filters
$sql .= " ORDER BY stuff,morestuff";
[/code]

Build your Form this way:
[code]
<form name="filters" id="filters" action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] ?>" method="get">
   <select name="tier_id" id="tier_id" onchange="document.filters.submit(); return true;">
                    <option value="">-- All Tiers --</option>
                    <?php
                  $result = db_query("SELECT tier.tier_id,tier.name FROM tier ORDER BY tier.name");
                  while(($row = mysql_fetch_array ($result))){ ?>
                    <option value="<?= $row['tier_id'];?>" <?php if($_FORM['tier_id'] == $row['tier_id']){echo "selected=\"selected\"";} ?> >
                      <?= $row['name']; ?>
                    </option>
                    <?php
                  } // end for() loop
                 ?>
    </select>
</form>
[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=383950:date=Jun 14 2006, 09:00 PM:name=lead2gold)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lead2gold @ Jun 14 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]383950[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I don't think AJAX is required... i'm doing what you want with PHP mixed with a FORM and a bit of Javascript.

I only use Javascript for the auto-reload of the page once the item is selected.
See what you want in action at: [a href=\"http://hitech.lead2gold.org/view_teams.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://hitech.lead2gold.org/view_teams.php[/a]
[/quote]

Thank You, @lead2gold! You really leaded to gold and saved my day! I accomplished the task with my DB and my filters, but it works. One more thing: I guess, in Your SELF_PHP code (form... action= ... ) You have one equal-sign too much.

That was exactly what I needed. As I am still learning PHP adding AJAX would be a little bit too challenging; it is not dead for me, but it is not the right time.

A nice day from Austria

Henry

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.