Open Office vs Microsoft Office

d_barszczak

Which office package do you use?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which office package do you use?

• Open Office
    • Microsoft Office
    • Other (Please State)

I went OO but I don't really use it for anything more than typing basic documents. Most of the time I just type them in notepad unless I need to print them too.

My only complaint is that it defaults to the .odt extension. I'm sure that can be changed but I don't use it enough yet to care.

I use abiword and gnumeric. They're very lightweight (unlike OpenOffice) and provide me all the functionality I need. And while abiword is a good WYSIWYG editor, I'm getting really tired of using .doc files, so I'm starting to use lyx and alternate publication schemes. (HTML publishing, for example.)

I've only installed OpenOffice.org Writer so as to keep the footprint on my system small. I have no qualms with it, it opens any .doc files I've ever been sent by clients which to be honest is the only reason I would ever need it.

MS Office is no good to me at all considering I only run Linux.

They're very lightweight (unlike OpenOffice)

I noticed this a lot more in the OSX version than I have in the Windows version. It would slow my computer right down even though I had 2GB and very little else running. The Windows one seems to work better, but I still opt for notepad whenever possible.

• 3 weeks later...

The company for which I used to work didn't want to buy a license for MS Office for me (even if all other emplyees had them) so I used OO during this time.

Apart from some problems with MSOffoce <-> OO compatibility, I had really good time using it.

I did all sorts of text documents, pdf booklets, spreadsheets, presentations (though I must admitt, that I'd rather use PowerPoint)

And all those mails from my coworkers: "WTF is this .ods file??? How do I open it???"

And I still am using it - 3.0 beta now.

I also have MS Office 2007 installed, but I seldom use it.

Hehe.  lol

Anyway, my opinion on OpenOffice:

I love it for random little things, or for a computer on which I don't have Office, but I don't see it as a replacement for Office in the real world.  I've had problems with going between Word and OO.

I mainly just meant that it's not feasible as a replacement, since others would have to go between the two.

Understood. I try to stay away from sharing documents like that, because it just causes a lot of headaches. And I guess I'm kinda lucky, because I never really have to do anything other than publish documents, so I just render them as HTML and put them on the web.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.