How do you pronounce MySQL

revraz

How do you pronounce MySQL  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce MySQL

• MY S Q L
    • MY SEQUEL

I'm on the fence. I know S Q L is the correct way but a lot of the people I talk to in person about it refer to it as sequel. And its easier to say. So i guess if I'm with them, sequel, if I'm with any other geek minded person that I'm not overly familiar with then S Q L so they don't look at me cockeyed :P

definitely sequel.

Why "definitely"? I've never seen the reasoning behind pronouncing it "sequel", so perhaps you could kindly elaborate on this peculiar deviation from the official pronunciation? I don't see how SQL can ever become "sequel". I find it especially ludicrous to say that seeing as there is already another word called "sequel" and therefore it makes no sense to me whatsoever to call a second thing, that is not even remotely associated with that word, "sequel" as well.

I hope someone can enlighten me on this.

I'm on the fence. I know S Q L is the correct way but a lot of the people I talk to in person about it refer to it as sequel. And its easier to say. So i guess if I'm with them, sequel, if I'm with any other geek minded person that I'm not overly familiar with then S Q L so they don't look at me cockeyed :P

esquel isn't harder to say than sequel. Personally I just say esquel, which is the correct pronunciation. Even the people that say sequel understand me. ;)

I think its easier. Its two syllables that have vowels to make it flow better instead of the three syllable/voweless acronym.

And I'm sure the deviation occured because sql is the word sequel with no vowels. People, including myself, are lazy.

i say mysql but people that are old school say sequal that gets on my nerv, but they were obviously there first

I'm not sure how that would be old school?

people that go uni nowerdays prefer to say my sql and sql where as people that went uni ages ago when it was a new thing, they call it sequal, i have seen examples of this more than 10 times its true, i dont know why its jsut a fact

You forget my estate in Greece, my cottages in the Swiss Alps (that includes my own ski slope), my private island in the Caribbean, and my 50 room villa right here in the Netherlands, next to my private airport where I park my fleet of airplanes.

You forget my estate in Greece, my cottages in the Swiss Alps (that includes my own ski slope), my private island in the Caribbean, and my 50 room villa right here in the Netherlands, next to my private airport where I park my fleet of airplanes.

lol

ARE YOU FREINDS with the person at the BOTTOM OF THIS THREAD ?

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,196292.0.html

TEH PPL SAI SEQUEL ALWAY, ME SAI SEQUEL 2, K?

you can keep saying sequal i wont give up saying sql, you can be a pop boy if you like, and wear your popular cloths and ur popular music, im underground, i bet you have a mini cooper, and a hous ein france or spain

That doesn't even make any sense. What does that have to do with anything? And I bet you're taste in music is about as underground as a tree house. I rarely come across people claiming to be "underground" or "counterculture" that really are. Generally they abstain from top 40 radio and thats about it. The bands are all still signed and all still popular in their demographic, just not on the radio. And btw, Mini Coopers are awesome cars. You can mod the engine for a lot of power and they still have their amazing british handling. Plus they're small and light. By no means are they the best car, but if I had the money for a track car I'd be getting a Mini.

Well, in English you cannot pronounce things that do not have any vowels. Furthermore, ANSI defines the pronunciation of SQL to be Ess Que Ell, and MySQL defines the pronunciation of MySQL to be My Ess Que Ell so it does not make sense to me to say "I will definitely mispronounce it".

Sorry to get off topic again, but...

"i say mysql but people that are old school say sequal that gets on my nerv, but they were obviously there first "

I would expect the older people to say S-Q-L since SEQUEL was around before SQL, and I doubt they would call two separate things the same thing when one of them was emerging, because that would be confusing.

Anyway, I say S-Q-L, because I don't make words out of non-words (please, no one start a 'what is a word?' argument).  Also, I've always understood S-Q-L to be correct, and I don't like being incorrect.

"it's easier to say. And to me, saying each letter S Q L sounds too nerdy"

Oh yes, because when talking about SQL, you should always try to sound not-nerdy.

Then again, maybe I don't understand, because I've entirely separated my nerd self from my normal self.  Half the people I know in real life would never know that I know a single thing about computers.  I even have separate MSNs and stuff.  It's kinda strange.  In real life, I've talked heavy computers (in the sense of how they work, not just "OMG HAVE YOU SEEN WHAT <BLAH> POSTED ON HIS/HER FACEBOOK?!  OMGZOMZOMZOMG!!1!1") with someone for over 3 minutes, and I've talked to maybe 3 people outloud.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.