How do you pronounce MySQL  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce MySQL

• MY S Q L
    • MY SEQUEL

definitely sequel.

Why "definitely"?

it's easier to say. And to me, saying each letter S Q L sounds too nerdy

Lol... we're talking about an RDBMS (I wonder what kind of weird pronunciation you'll assign this acronym - and yes, I do pronounce all the individual letters in that one) here. How can you talk about it in a non-nerdy context?

definitely sequel.

Why "definitely"?

Lol... we're talking about an RDBMS (I wonder what kind of weird pronunciation you'll assign this acronym - and yes, I do pronounce all the individual letters in that one) here. How can you talk about it in a non-nerdy context?

I think you meant to say redbeams!

definitely sequel.

Why "definitely"?

lol some of you all take things too seriously.

I would have to disagree with this.  In English, we do have something called "shorthand".  This is writing a word down and eliminating the vowels.  So for myself, I always looked at SQL as shorthand and would add the vowels.  Could be on how I was taught in school back then and it just stuck with me.

Well, in English you cannot pronounce things that do not have any vowels. Furthermore, ANSI defines the pronunciation of SQL to be Ess Que Ell, and MySQL defines the pronunciation of MySQL to be My Ess Que Ell so it does not make sense to me to say "I will definitely mispronounce it".

On the other hand, we have plenty of acronyms that we pronounce as words as well.

But there are plenty of sites that say it can be either way:

MySQL 

MySQL, pronounced either "My S-Q-L" or "My Sequel," is an open source relational database management system. It is based on the structure query language (SQL), which is used for adding, removing, and modifying information in the database. Standard SQL commands, such as ADD, DROP, INSERT, and UPDATE can be used with MySQL.

Even back when I was doing Oracle 8 work, the instructors would always refer to SQL statements as "sequel".

But there are plenty of sites that say it can be either way:

If I say that NASA can be pronounced "table", does that then make it correct? MySQL says it's pronounced My Ess Que Ell and ANSI says that SQL is pronounced Ess Que Ell. What everybody else says is completely irrelevant.

On the other hand, we have plenty of acronyms that we pronounce as words as well.

I bet those have vowels and therefore are "pronounceable".

Even back when I was doing Oracle 8 work, the instructors would always refer to SQL statements as "sequel".

Even though I'm guilty of calling it sequel around some people, I'd say this is a weak argument. The instructors at my work often make many mistakes. One tried saying that the Voodoo computer line had roughly "1 TB of RAM". He also thought that wireless G had a range of 300 feet or that a Class B network had 10,000 available IPs. Or related specifically to the product the trainer was unaware that the printer could print photos directly from a USB stick that had more than just photos on it (docs etc) and thought that "1394 Connection" in the device manager meant that the computer was wireless enabled.

...and thought that "1394 Connection" in the device manager meant that the computer was wireless enabled.

thats not what it means?!?!?!?!?!?!

ok, seriously...i think that the developers should know how to say it, and we should copy...

this is all over...ubuntu for example...how do you pronounce that???  oo-BOON-too ... taken directly from the faqs on the page...that is what they called it, that is what we should call it.

btw...had to do a google search to find out what RDBMS means...

Relational database management system...10 points to me!

I wasn't using it as a arguement in favor for or against, I was just saying how others pronounce it.  I do know that Instructors are often wrong and have bad habbits as well.  It just seems that older Oracle poeple do pronouce it as "sequel"

Even though I'm guilty of calling it sequel around some people, I'd say this is a weak argument.

Probably a good reason why the old timers call it SEQUEL

The first version of SQL was developed at IBM by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond F. Boyce in the early 1970s. This version, initially called SEQUEL, was designed to manipulate and retrieve data stored in IBM's original relational database product, System R. The SQL language was later formally standardized by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) in 1986. Subsequent versions of the SQL standard have been released as International Organization for Standardization (ISO) standards.

During the 1970s, a group at IBM San Jose Research Laboratory developed the System R relational database management system, based on the model introduced by Edgar F. Codd in his influential paper, A Relational Model of Data for Large Shared Data Banks.[3] Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond F. Boyce of IBM subsequently created the Structured English Query Language (SEQUEL) to manipulate and manage data stored in System R.[4] The acronym SEQUEL was later changed to SQL because "SEQUEL" was a trademark of the UK-based Hawker Siddeley aircraft company.

I know they're two different things but it would explain the older people still using sequel.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.