Passing Variables

gladiator83x

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me how to pass a variable from one file to another. I know that when there is a form involved, one can use:

$variable_new = $_REQUEST['passed_variable] ;

This works just fine, but I wanted to know if there were any other ways to pass variables to other files?

Christopher [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/huh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":huh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"huh.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=383319:date=Jun 13 2006, 11:32 AM:name=joquius)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(joquius @ Jun 13 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]383319[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
you mean page.php?string=value ?
this is

<a href="?string=3">String is 3</a>
<? if (isset ($_GET['string'])) echo $_GET['string']; // 3 ?>

you can do this on the same page, different pages, etc
[/quote]

Thanks Joquius, that helped me out big time. I was trying to switch it around a little bit though and I couldn't get this to work:

<a href=file_2.php?string=$hlink>String is 3</a>
<a href="?string=">String is 3</a>
<? if (isset ($_GET['string'])) echo $_GET['string']; // 3 ?>

$hlink is my variable name and I am trying to return what it is on another page; however, all I am returning is the word $hlink. Any suggestions? I am stumped.

You're not using quotes around the href, PLUS $hlink is a php variable.... you need to put it inside PHP tags:
<a href="file_2.php?string=<?=$hlink?>">String is 3</a>

[!--quoteo(post=383411:date=Jun 13 2006, 02:33 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Jun 13 2006, 02:33 PM) [snapback]383411[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

You're not using quotes around the href, PLUS $hlink is a php variable.... you need to put it inside PHP tags:
[/quote]

Thanks Ober!!! You're the Man [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=383413:date=Jun 13 2006, 02:40 PM:name=gladiator83x)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(gladiator83x @ Jun 13 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]383413[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Thanks Ober!!! You're the Man [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":smile:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Actually, that did not quite work right. All my code was already in php brackets. I am just echoing the html code. So the code below won't work either, It is what I already have.

A snippet of my code is :

<php

// just the last several lines of my code

echo '<a href=review_end1.php?string11=$hlink>String is 3</a>';

// this also has the same output as

echo '<a href="review_end1.php?string11=$hlink">String is 3</a>';

// Free resultset
mysql_free_result($result);

// Closing connection
mysql_close($link);

?>

The double quotes did not matter. I am still returning "$hlink", instead of what $hlink holds. Any other suggestions?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.