Need PHP to get hash from url

oskom

Hey all,

Is there some $_SERVER method, or anything else, that will allow PHP to get the hash from a url? In other words, I want to take a url like "www.mydomain.com/#1234" and have PHP get the hash and use it as a variable for other purposes.

Does this sound do-able?

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I don't want to pass it as a variable. This is for an all AJAX site where the unique url's(in theory) will be created in the hash. I can create a particular page from javascript with the hash, but I need to do it with PHP instead...Google searchable!!!! The only way I can make a unique url for each page(i.e. effect the address without actually flipping the page) is to hash it with javascript. I need to then be able to cut-n-paste that url with the hash into another browser window and have PHP build the page based on the hash being turned into a variable PHP can use.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. Can I achieve that with PHP?

Here's an idea: can I cookie the hash and pass that?

Well it sounds like you're doing something more complex than I was thinking. I'm not too sure how you'd do that, to be honest. But stepping back a bit and thinking about it, I think a cookie may be the best way without passing it visibly?

$hash = substr(strrchr('#', $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']), 1);

DarkWater,

In testing, it doesn't appear that $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] passes the hash. Otherwise, yes, that would be my method. Unfortunately, PHP isn't getting a hash to sub-string.

hmmmmmm...

I just checked it out online. Yes, it looks like javascript. Not sure what the difference is yet, though. However, in thinking about it some more, I don't know that the cookie is the solution either. You would have to establish the browser-side cookie with javascript first, then redirect the page(cookie in place) to a PHP page. With Google-searchability at stake, is the googlebot going to be able to take that step? Or does that small amount of javascript intervention break the deal?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.