can somebody help me with this question?

garylee

Expect cross-browser issues - not every visitor to your site comes equipped with the latest and greatest browser (or your favourite browser).

The sane way to deal with so-called cross-browser issues is to write code that complies with W3C standards. It's a trivial exercise to use online validators for html and CSS, and it's not at all difficult to write valid code to start with. 'Cross-browser' issues then become cases of browsers that fail to comply with reasonable standards. I'm not suggesting you expect CSS2 and CSS3 to be supported, but the CSS1 standard is a sensible goal.

Once you've eliminated a very large percentage of the cross-browser issues by coding rationally and to a standard, the few true cross-browser issues can be resolved with conditional CSS coding NOT by browser sniffing and using a zillion style sheets. The majority of these issues are where IE does not comply, although there are plenty of cases where IE is 'more compliant' than other mainstream browsers.

There are enough CSS-compliance versus browser version tables around to steer you away from trying to make something work that is never going to work :)

Needless to say, check your work with more than one browser and at more than one screen resolution.

The main thing I do is code for MSIE and Firefox as that takes care of probably 95% of your visitors. That's frustrating enough to get identical appearance on both browsers, so I wont even bother with AOL, Netscape etc. I'm sure they'd have close resemblence on others if you can get the code to work on the big 2.

The biggest issue i've found is with <div>'s, it's pushed as the replacement for <table>'s now, but even the big sites still use tables throughout. They seem to display much more consistantantly across the browsers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.