Need a php script to search a database

adolphsons

I would like to build a website in which a visitor can search for homes for sale in certain areas. My database that would be searched will have data from MLS for certain priced homes and areas. I am a rookie with mysql and php so I was hoping someone can recommend something for me. I need to have a way to massage the data that is displayed so I can enter in some information of my own.

I think you're getting too far ahead of yourself.

You need to start with the basics before asking about all that on your first post, without providing code of your own. Gotta learn to crawl before you can walk. Especially, if you plan to make money out of it. Maybe you can hire one of our many talented programmers in the community. I will happily code it myself...for a nominal fee. 8-)

Other than that....
[a href=\"http://www.php.net\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.php.net[/a]. <--- Great source for beginners. You can learn a lot by just trial and error...and reading the PHP documentation provided for free.

Start with some basic tutorials...then you'll gradually get the hang of it. There are a number of them here as well. PHP can be a very cool language to pick up.

i kinda have to disagree about php.net being a great source for beginners. the manual is written under the assumption that you are not new to programming in general. A better place to start is to do a google search on 'php tutorials' (or you know..go to the tutorials sections on the main site here, cuz like, that's what it's there for).

if you are looking to run a real estate site, and you are willing to have someone else do it for you.. just so you know, there are already real estate site scripts out there, already made. Of course, most of them cost money. But I have come across one or two that are free.

[!--quoteo(post=384171:date=Jun 15 2006, 02:45 PM:name=black jack)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(black jack @ Jun 15 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]384171[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Can you share the free scripts with me or I am not opposed to paying for something that works.
[/quote]

There are plenty of tutorials out there anr scripts to help you on your way but for a begginer the best resourse out there for me was PHP & MySQL for Dummies.

Get's you off to a good start then the php.net website don't seem so daunting.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.