Calculating a total in a textfield?

Solarpitch

Hey,

I'm not sure where I can find a tutorial for this but basically I'm created a purchase ordering form. When the user enters a quantity of a product into the quantity textfield I want it to populate the corresponding "total" textfield with the calculated total.

So if they enter quantity as 5 and the product is €10... it will populate the total textfield with €50 when the user clicks out of the quantity textfield. I seen this done on a few sites but not sure where to start with it as my JS is not the best.

JS

<SCRIPT>
function doCalc( num ){
//test to make sure that it is a number - to lazy to do it
//do number formating
document.getElementById('total').innerHTML = document.getElementById('price').value * num;
}
</SCRIPT>

HTML

Quantity: <input type="text" SIZE=3 NAME='quant' ID='quant' ONKEYUP='doCalc(this.value);'><BR>
Price $<input SIZE=5 type="text" NAME='price' ID='price' DISABLED VALUE='5.00'><BR>
Total: $<SPAN ID=total NAME=total>0.00</SPAN>

Hey thanks for that. Would you be able to help me modify that to suit what I have in the example. Basically each product will have a price, then the quantity will be entered and a total displayed for that product.

Then at the end I will need to calc an overall total.

example50uz4.th.gif

Thanks man,

Ok well I have a function that returns all the products in the database as you can see in the thumbnail I attached in my last post. Here's a snippet of the function that assigns the values to the textfields..

<?php

while(($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) != false) 
		{

echo "	

<td><input type='text' name='val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='quant' ONKEYUP='doCalc(this.value);'/></td>
<td><input type='text' name='tot_val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='tot_val'  /></td>

</tr>
";

}

?>

Then down the end of the page I want to give an overall total of all of the totals on each product.

<form >
Overall: $<SPAN ID=overall_total NAME=overall_total>0.00</SPAN>
</form>

So if theres 5 products in the result set. Each product will have a price, quantity and total price.

Product 1: €4.00 x 3 -> Total €12

Product 2: €2.00 x 2 -> Total €4

Overall Total: €16

I hope this makes sence. Not sure if you seen the screenshot in my last post but that will show you the idea.

Here's the whole function...

<?php

function populate_ordering_products($id)
{

dbconnect();

$sql = "SELECT * FROM product_spec WHERE category_id = ".$id."";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

echo "			

<table width='842'>
  <tr>
    <td >Product ID</td>
    <td >Energy</td>
    <td >Brightness</td>
<td >Fitting</td>
<td >Quantity</td>
<td >Info?</td>
  </tr>";

while(($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) != false) 
		{

$product_id = $row[1];
		$product_name = get_productname($product_id);

echo "	
  <tr'>
    <td>".$product_name."</td>
    <td>".$row[2]."</td>
    <td>".$row[3]."</td>
    <td>".$row[4]."</td>

<td><input type='text' name='val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='quant' ONKEYUP='doCalc(this.value);'/></td>
<td><input type='text' name='tot_val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='price' DISABLED VALUE='5.00'/></td>
  </tr>
";

}

$myinfo .= "</table>";
    return $myinfo;

}

?>

Javascript:

function doCalc( index, total ){

var num = document.getElementById('quant'+index).value;
var gTotal = 0;

if( !isNaN( num ) && num != '' )
	document.getElementById('total'+index).innerHTML = (parseFloat(document.getElementById('price'+index).value) * parseInt(num)).toFixed(2);
else
	document.getElementById('total'+index).innerHTML = '0.00';

for(var i = 0; i < total; i++ )
	gTotal += parseFloat(document.getElementById('total'+i).innerHTML);

document.getElementById('vTotal').innerHTML = gTotal.toFixed(2);
}

PHP

<?php

function populate_ordering_products($id){

dbconnect();

$sql = "SELECT * FROM product_spec WHERE category_id = ".$id;
$result = mysql_query($sql);

echo " 

<table width='842'>
		<tr>
			<td >Product ID</td>
			<td >Energy</td>
			<td >Brightness</td>
			<td >Fitting</td>
			<td >Quantity</td>
			<td >Info?</td>
		</tr>";

$totalRows = mysql_num_rows( $result );
		$index = 0;

while(($row = mysql_fetch_row($result)) != false) {

$product_id = $row[1];
			$product_name = get_productname($product_id);

echo "<tr>
				<td>".$product_name."</td>
				<td>".$row[2]."</td>
				<td>".$row[3]."</td>
				<td>".$row[4]."</td>

<td><input type='text' name='val$index' id='val$index' style='width:35px;' ONKEYUP='doCalc($index,$totalRows);'/></td>
				<td><input type='text' name='tot_val$index' id='tot_val$index' style='width:35px;' DISABLED VALUE='5.00'/></td>
			</tr>";

}

//I didnt know where you wanted the totals, so I just put it in the last row
		echo "<TR><TD COLSPAN=3><B>Total: $</B> <SPAN NAME=vTotal ID=vTotal>0.00</SPAN></TR>";
	echo "</table>";

}

?>

Hope this helps

Yeah I took that out but it shouldn't make a difference anyway. I'll keep banging away at it with what you done for me. I took out the formatting to make it easier for you to read... there was too much code otherwise.

At the min when I put in the quantity on each product.. the corresponding total stays at 0.00. Not sure why.

Ok.. I have it working except for displaying the overall total.

<?php

$index = $row[0];

<td><input type='text' name='val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='quant".$row[0]."' ONKEYUP='doCalc($index, this.value);' /></td>

<td><input type='text' name='tot_val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='price".$row[0]."' DISABLED VALUE='5.00' /></td>
<td>€<SPAN style='font-weight:bold; margin-bottom:10px; color:#006699;' ID=total".$row[0]." NAME=total>0.00</SPAN></td>

/>

<SCRIPT>
function doCalc( index, total ){

var num = document.getElementById('quant'+index).value;
var gTotal = 0;

if( !isNaN( num ) && num != '' )
	document.getElementById('total'+index).innerHTML = (parseFloat(document.getElementById('price'+index).value) * parseInt(num)).toFixed(2);
else
	document.getElementById('total'+index).innerHTML = '0.00';

for(var i = 0; i < total; i++ )
	gTotal += parseFloat(document.getElementById('total'+i).innerHTML);

document.getElementById('vTotal').innerHTML = gTotal.toFixed(2);
}
</SCRIPT>

this is what I have at the bottom of the page to display the overall total but I cant get it to calculate the total of all the total fields.

<B>Total: $</B> <SPAN ID=vTotal NAME=vTotal>0.00</SPAN>

Actually... all I need to do is to convert this...

<B>Total: $</B> <SPAN ID=vTotal NAME=vTotal>0.00</SPAN>

to a textfield. How Can I get this to work if the above total was made into a textfield. I made it into a textfield but the values wont change.

I changed that but no alert poped up

<?php

$index = $row[0];

<td><input type='text' name='val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='quant".$row[0]."' ONKEYUP='doCalc($index, this.value);' /></td>
<td><input type='text' name='tot_val[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='price".$row[0]."' DISABLED VALUE='5.00' /></td>

//The values are calculating and changing in this perfectly when the user enters a value into the quantity field. 
//But I need the below total to be a textfield. 
//The reason being because I need to submit the form and store all the values into an array and it doesnt seem to store the values when the total is set like below...

<td>€<SPAN style='font-weight:bold; margin-bottom:10px; color:#006699;' ID=total".$row[0]." NAME=total>0.00</SPAN></td>

//Needs to be like this... but when i change it to this, the value wont change in the textfield

<td><input type='text' name='total[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='total".$row[0]."' value='0.00' /></td>

?>

Thanks for your help with this again.

I need to direct value of $row[0] though for other parts of the application. But either way, it should work. The problem is the code cant get the total value because its not being displayed in a textfield.

Dont suppose you know whats up with that?  :-\

I did yeah. Its all working fine. The total on each product fields are being calculated fine. But when I use an array to get all the values of the totals, it wont grab them because total is not a textfield.

Do you know how to convert this part...

to this..

<td><input type='text' name='total[".$row[0]."]' style='width:35px;' ID='total".$row[0]."' value='0.00' /></td>

and get it to work in the JS?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.