Server app fails with Mac IE5.2 users???

flotsam

I have a program at [a href=\"http://testbs.com/firecalc.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://testbs.com/firecalc.php[/a] that works for almost everyone, however for Mac users with IE 5.2 only, the output includes pages of php div by zero errors.

There are about 50 variables passed from the input form using a POST. Every variable in the form has a suitable default. Not using cookies and not using sessions. The Mac error happens regardless of user input.

I modified the program so that the page doing the processing will display the input variables, and there is no difference between what is passed with MacIE5.2 and other browsers, so the problem is not the sending of data in the POST.

Here is the sequence of events...

Depending on a user selection, one or another bunch of numbers are loaded into an array (using ordinary php assignments, not database calls). The user selection determines which include file is selected.

The next step is a division by one of the elements in the array -- this is where the div by zero error appears.

In debugging, I added code to set that user selection in case it wasn't set -- no change.

It appears that that file is not included, when the user is on a Mac with IE5.2. But I don't have a Mac to test with.

This makes no sense to me, as everything happens at the server, and everything works find on other browsers.

I even loaded the program on a different server -- same results.

Anyone have any ideas? (If not, how do I trap for Mac IE5.2?)

Thanks -- Bill

I'm going to guess that it's an issue of the length of the POST data. I've run into these problems with IE 6 and GET data and I'm going to guess that the POST limit for MacIE5.2 is below that. My only suggestion is to figure out another way to pass the data or to reduce the number of variables you're sending.

One way to do this would be to write it all out to a flat file or to a database in steps before this page and then pull all that up when you get to the page you're talking about.

FYI, I get the divide by zero errors in Opera too, so it's possible that there is something wrong with the code. You may want to try trapping for the div/zero error.

HTH and good luck

I'm going to guess that it's an issue of the length of the POST data. I've run into these problems with IE 6 and GET data and I'm going to guess that the POST limit for MacIE5.2 is below that. My only suggestion is to figure out another way to pass the data or to reduce the number of variables you're sending.

One way to do this would be to write it all out to a flat file or to a database in steps before this page and then pull all that up when you get to the page you're talking about.

HTH and good luck

HTH and good luck

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.