Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bilis_money

PCRE

hi, i was reading the regex pattern manual on php and i found
this word --> "PCRE" i tried the manual to search for the meaning of
this word and i can't find it.

so what is it by the way "PCRE" the meaning please?

thank you.

The best placed to go if you dont understand a meaning of something is to head over to wikipedia! Anyway PCRE stands for [b]P[/b]erl [b]C[/b]ompatible [b]R[/b]egular [b]E[/b]xpressions

Here is an [a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCRE\" target=\"_blank\"]an explanation too[/a]

Also I swer php.net mentions what PCRE stands for. yeah I thought so, [a href=\"http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/ref.pcre.php\" target=\"_blank\"]php.net explains it here[/a]

thanks for the fast reply wildteen88
you are really wild, he, he, he :)

I know the RE means but PC it's a no, no to me. :)

thanks anyway...

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]I know the RE means but PC it's a no, no to me. :)[/quote]
What?

PC stands for Perl Compatible.

Perl is another programming language, with extensive support for Regular Expressions.

you don't need to answer that again thorpe.
i already read wildteen's answers. i assume that i haven't read wildteen's
answers i'm just pretending.

hey, thorpe i saw you on phpbuilder.com/board/

is that you also on phpbuilder? coz it has the same avatar.

just to let you know, the other famous regular expression "type" is called POSIX (google tells me that this stands for: Portable Operating System Interface for X).

POSIX is less powerful than PCRE but POSIX modern is an extended version of the traditional POSIX but it's still considered less feature rich than POSIX.

if you've used 'grep' in a Linux/UNIX terminal, you've probably used a POSIX style regexp.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.