Huge margin top gap in IE6

Dada78

No I do not see a white space ether on FF3 or on IE7. I have posted a screen shot of it on page 1.

How much longer do I have to keep entertaining this before someone stops and listens to what I am trying to say about the table?

One person mentions whitespace and everyone jumps on it and assumes that is the cause. I have told you people what is causing it, just do not know how to fix it and it is not whitespace.

dada, you say that the gap moves down, but it DOESN'T disappear. people here aren't saying the whitespace is causing the gap itself; they're saying the whitespace is causing quirks mode, which may be causing the gap for whatever reason IE6 deems proper.

i believe web developer toolbar allows you to force either quirks or non-quirks mode - may i suggest you attempt both and see if the quirks mode is the cause (whether whitespace is causing it or not)?

You posted a screenshot of display.php, not of browse.php, and don't even try to say that there's no whitespace. I just looked at the HTML source for browse.php in three different browsers, two of them Internet Explorer, and I get an empty line at the top. So has everybody else.

But anyway. That's not the problem.

AFTER removing the empty line at the top of the source of browse.php, look at line 66.

width='100%'

That is the problem. Find the place where those tables get generated (in both files) and change it to 99%. I'll send the bill in the mail.

<------ Just shakes his head in disbelief at the lack of peoples listening skill.

You change the table from 100% to 99% the gap is then shifted to the bottom of the table. I have already stated this. I will bet you thousands of dollar their is no white space and it is not the cause. I have the same problem on both browse.php and display.php. I would post you all the screenshots and upload all the files and give you a detailed explanantion but it won't be read an thought about so it is pointless. Just because one person suggested it was whitespace everyone else has to jump on that. That just shows you the lack of intelligence of this forum. Look it up, whitespace DOESNT exist with HTML only with php....

Not to mention line 66 is a meta tag....

This is maybe the funniest thread I have ever read on this site :D

Dude, you are the biggest moron I have seen on here. You asked for a problem, I TOLD you what it is, but since you have never heard of it you think it must not exist. Ten other people tell you the same thing - you still scream and stamp your feet because, well you have never heard of it, so it must not exist.

Do you even know what quirks mode is? It causes problems just like you are having.

Get rid of the whitespace (look in your included files), and see if that doesn't solve your problem. If you don't even try, you have no right to say that that isn't the problem, because you obviously don't have enough experience to know if its the problem or not.

Hey dipshit, I have already looked in the included files and I have told you peple OVER and OVER their is NO whitespace. In FF depending on your theme it will display it at the top because their is PHP above the HTML. Whitespace DOES NOT affect HTML because it only renders between the HTML tags.

I have told you where I am having the problems but you WONT LISTEN!!!!

IT IS NOT because of whitespace because their IS NONE IN ANY OF THE FILES!!!! How hard is that to understand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or you could do what neylitalo said, and change the width of the tableS to 99%. It shifts them all up.

Are you Effin kidding me!!!!!!! This is EXACTLY what I am talking about you people DONT listen. I have already stated this several time. If I change the width it will shift it up but then the gap happens BELOW the table. Also line 66 is meta tags...... Geez.........

Also line 66 is meta tags...... Geez.........

You seem to be under the impression that we're looking at the PHP source and not the HTML that gets sent to the browser. I'm not sure why that is, as we've said "HTML source" a dozen times, but meh.

If I change the width it will shift it up but then the gap happens BELOW the table.

The problem is in the 100%. Change all tables with a width of 100% to have a width of 99% and the problem will go away.

whether you like it or not, the following is false:

Hey dipshit, I have already looked in the included files and I have told you peple OVER and OVER their is NO whitespace. In FF depending on your theme it will display it at the top because their is PHP above the HTML. Whitespace DOES NOT affect HTML because it only renders between the HTML tags.

FF doesn't even know that there's PHP there, so it will have no idea whether to put whitespace there or not.  if it does, it's because either PHP is echoing it (for whatever reason) or it's sitting in one of your files somewhere.  while whitespace may not affect the HTML itself (in itself a lie - a browser will process everything it's given, not just what's between the HTML tags), we're not saying it is - we're saying it's affecting the BROWSER, which in turn interprets your HTML/CSS differently as a result.

since you're arguing until you're blue in the face that there's no whitespace, yet others insist there is, pay careful attention to your FTP settings and what environment both the server and your local system are on.  there are differences between how newlines are echoed on both systems - one uses \r\n, the other just uses \n.  this could be the reason why you don't see any but others do, whether it's causing your specific error or not.  have a read up on it on google.

finally, there's no reason to be hostile.  even if haku calls you a moron, there's no reason to stoop to that level.  let's ALL try to be civil here, shall we?

Okay, this has gone on long enough.  You came here looking for help.  People are trying to help.  You insist that that's not the problem, but you refuse to even try the solutions offered.  Do you seriously believe that all of these people (myself included) would just randomly say "oh yes, must be whitespace," without actually checking it ourselves?  

You have resorted to e-screaming and yelling, and calling people names.  You obviously are not getting the help you are looking for, so I am closing this thread.  This is the second thread of yours that has ended up being closed, due to the thread degenerating into yelling and screaming on your part.  

If you feel that this community is worthless, then go somewhere else.  If I see another thread or post by you along these lines, I will show you the door out.