[SOLVED] Absolute positioned div disappears in IE7

Kane250

I have every div in my website relatively positioned except one that muct be absolute because it has to be layered on top of others. I have the div as the very last thing in my container div before I end the html and with absolute positioning it shows up fine in every browser (IE6, FF, Opera, Safari) except for IE7 where it just completely disappears altogether. I tried moving the div to be the very first thing in the container instead of the last, thinking that priority might make it visible, but it has not. I also tried z-index, which doesn't do anything either.

Any suggestions?

oddly I still cannot see it anywhere whether i insert it before or after the container and yes even with a 1000 z index! I am using an online renderer for IE7 because I use a mac...do you think I just might not be seeing it through there? I dont know what else would keep it from layering above the other divs...

Nope :-(, I dont get this at all....nothing will make it show up. I feel like I have looked at every possible solution

Sorry, but you're wrong. If you do what I suggest above then it will show. I have tested it.

I did do that...that's how it is currently set up and I am not seeing it in IE7....you are?

I just checked what Bronzemonkey said, and it works fine.

You don't have it set up that way now. You have position relative set to the container, but you haven't removed the floats or the margins, and you haven't set the top and left to the div.

I'm not looking at your code, I changed your code to what bronzemonkey said, and it worked.

If you have changed your code and it's not working, then the code is being over-ridden somewhere.

ok well im looking to see how this is possible because IE7 is definitely loading my IE7 stylesheet (tested) but making these suggested changes are not doing anything in that stylesheet. You mentioned above that you tested in FF and IE6, however the problem only exists in IE7. IE6 and FF are running from my other stylesheet...

FINALLY I got this working. You guys were right with the code, it was perfect, however it seems that when the page loads up my IE7 specific stylesheet, it does not omit the original stylesheet. It's actually reading from both somehow...it's very strange and I cannot explain how or why, but hey, it works now!

Thanks for all your help on this matter! It's been a mess!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.