HappyLand - Kids game built for Lutheran Media

We (Neoterik) recently completed an online kids game, build in Flash, for Lutheran Media Australia. Its for kids ages 5-7, and the goal was to create a fun environment for children to play in, but also to have characters deliver bible messages...

Click to Visit HappyLand

I built the entire game engine, the PHP/MySQL backend, did a lot of the audio, designed most of the graphics, and more. From our company, only 2 of us were working on the game.

Some of the things I'm proud of is the way locations are built, with dynamic scrolling/resizing, also its easy to add new buildings and NPC's, and the character customisation game was pretty interesting to program too...

This was built in AS2 using OOP...

The first minute or so a character 'Teech' does a big tutorial spiel, sit through it if you can so you can start playing the game...Remember, this is for kids, so it may be annoying/cheesy to older people We've done a fair bit of testing with classes of kids and they enjoy it There's loud talking characters so you may want to turn your speakers down. Oh and I'm not personally religious, but this is mildy bilbe-ish so be warned

Well, on my dialup, the boat slowly floated to the island with loading on top.. once the boat reached the island, it juts sat there (not sure if anything was actually loading at that point or not. so I gave up :( I would recommend a real-time percentage counter of some sort.. I assumed that once the boat reached the island, the loading would be complete (sort of like the boat travelling represents the total time to load).. but apparently not.

I did a quick test, while listening to a Pink Floyd track... That was one messed up experience...

;D i'll bet

Well, on my dialup, the boat slowly floated to the island with loading on top.. once the boat reached the island, it juts sat there (not sure if anything was actually loading at that point or not. so I gave up

Sorry, Its reasonably large (around 2MB), your assumption was correct, the boat is supposed to get to the island on load complete, but dialup probably is too slow. the reason it gets there is i have it just very gradually going right, even if nothing is loading fast enough, just to ensure there is a bit of movement

Teech freaks me the hell out.

Like poco said, I think the kids will like it.

Try listening to Teech with Pink Floyd's "In the flesh" playing  ::)

At any rate, about the boat thing, what about if once the boat reached the island, and the game had not loaded completely yet, if another animation were to play. It's kind of hard to explain this...

Chris

aximbigfan - ye i understand, would be worth doing at some point.

corbin - glad you liked our aussie accents ;) never thought that'd be a selling point tho, heh, maybe i shoulda put that in the post title

HappyLand! Kids Game! With Amazing Aussie Accents and Acapellas! Albatross Apes are all Angered and Aggravated after Abolishing an Alligators Ana... ummm ok ill stop now :P

In order to view this website you will need to enable JavaScript.

This site does not utilise annoying JavaScript popups or other browsing nuisances, but it is vital that JavaScript is enabled in order to display this sites content.

If you have enabled JavaScript and are still seeing this message, your browser may need to be upgraded. Check your browsers Help for information on how and where to upgrade.

WTF? I'm using FF 3.0 and have javascript enabled. ... Problem... I didn't have flash properly installed. You should probably tell users that they need flash to make it work too!

Great - one problem I spotted though. When you're playing the games, it'd be nice if you could just interrupt the person talking and get straight on with the game, instead of having to wait for them to finish. Then you could just have a help button to get them talking again. Just a thought - my 7 year old cousin loves it :P

----------------

Now playing: Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly - Glass Houses

via FoxyTunes

Once I loaded the site, my almost 18 month old boy lost interest in his mom's night time story babbling right away and climbed onto my lap to check it out and watched me played it for around 10 mins, until I was done. All seems to run fine on my side. I don't like playing with sheep, not my fetish. Anyway, those damn cactus, make them shorter, they are too freaking tall, my sheep keeps doing face plants every time. I personally didn't like the voice over, sounds kinda like someone with a slurring problem, or like my old friend when he drank too much, that's my honest first impression. Besides that, my kid thinks it has potential. Graphics is good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.