Need to name a server

mbeals

I'm building a new server here at work to centralize my network monitoring.  It just sits there and watches the network and attached devices, and sends out alerts if something isn't working right.

I have the software and the configuration all worked out....but it lacks a cool hostname.

I'm looking for a character from either popular fiction (read movies) or history (some greek/eqyption/norse  god) that was all seeing/knowing but not necessarily powerful (omniscient but not omnipotent)

The geekier the reference the better, and this place can't get much geekier, so give me your best stuff.

What are your ideas?

At work, they always choose a theme for every new batch of servers, so if you're ever looking to pair another server (or more) with this one, it might be good to choose a theme or name bank from which you can pull additional ones in the future. We have database servers named after transformers (Megatron, etc) and our pubshare servers are characters from LoTR (Frodo, etc)...

I've always been partial to the Norse gods myself, since they were actually mortal but retained a level of divinity. Something like Freyja or Heimdall (aka Rígr) would be cool. I really like the idea of Rígr, since he was the guardian of his realm, and that's sort of what your monitoring server is for... just some thoughts ;)

I was thinking along the lines of a norse god, but wans't familiar enough with the mythology to know of specific one.  Heimdall actually fits really nicely.  It's also funny that my other thoughts were transformer and LoTR names as well

I was thinking along the lines of a norse god, but wans't familiar enough with the mythology to know of specific one.  Heimdall actually fits really nicely.  It's also funny that my other thoughts were transformer and LoTR names as well

Some of the other lesser gods and goddesses of Greek and other mythologies are pretty fun, too, but I tend to like those of lesser renown personally ;)

i think i found a winner.

A friend suggested Uatu,  which is very geeky, but not so obscure that it's lost on everyone.

Nice. The Watcher carries an excellent persona for the monitoring you said this server will do. I'll have to keep that one in mind myself ;)

Light a match when ChuckNorris farts and voila! Instant firewall.

ROTFL ... I have some friends who do a Chuck Norris trip every summer through the national parks of the great northwest, and they usually do a blog of their misadventures chock full of classic Norris quotes. I'll have to add this one to their repertoire.

I just have my laptop, it's creatively named daniel-laptop. Then I have a vps, it's named after the main domain of the vps...

lol.  My main computer is Corbin, my Fedora Core box is serv1, and my laptop... is corbizzle.  Yeah, that's right.  I was gonna change it eventually, but then I wrote some stuff that used that name, and stuck with it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.