Wierd PHP & MySQL Happening

lpxxfaintxx

Hello,

I am making a tutorial CMS, but I'm facing a very wierd problem. I have an admin section where I can approve or deny a tutorial. But, when I add a tutorial, the most recent tutorial added is not there. For example, lets say I added tutorial 1. In the admin section, tutorial 1 is not there. Then Bob comes, and adds tutorial 2. Now tutorial 1 is showing, but 2 is not.

This is what I have so far:

[code]
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `tutorials` WHERE `activation` =0";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

// Define $color=1
$color="1";
$rows=mysql_fetch_array($result);
echo '<table width="500" border="1" align="center" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0">';
echo "<tr bgcolor='#666666'>
<td><font color = white>Name</font></td><td><font color = white>Category</font></td><td><font color = white>URL</font></td><td><font color = white>Description</font></td>
</tr>";
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result)){

$cat = $rows['catid'];
$sql2 = "SELECT * FROM `category` WHERE `cat_id` = '$cat'";

$result2=mysql_query($sql2);
$rows2=mysql_fetch_array($result2);

if($color==1){
echo "<tr bgcolor='#eeeeee' onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\";' onmouseout=\"style.backgroundColor='#eeeeee'\">
<td>".$rows['name']."</td><td>".$rows2['category']."</td><td><a href=".$rows['url'].">Link</a></td><td>".$rows['description']."</td>
</tr>";
// Set $color==2, for switching to other color
$color="2";
}

// When $color not equal 1, use this table row color
else {
echo "<tr bgcolor='#c0c0c0' onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\";' onmouseout=\"style.backgroundColor='#c0c0c0'\">
<td>".$rows['name']."</td><td>".$rows2['category']."</td><td><a href=".$rows['url'].">Link</a></td><td>".$rows['description']."</td>
</tr>";
// Set $color back to 1
$color="1";
}
}
echo '</table>';[/code]

Help would be GREATLY appreciated.

$sql = "SELECT * FROM `tutorials` WHERE `activation` = 0";
$result=mysql_query($sql);

// Define $color=1
$color="1";

//////////////////////////////////////////////
///Remove this line it gets the first line ///
/// then your While($row) pulls the second ///
/// $rows=mysql_fetch_array($result); ///

echo "<table width="500" border=1 align=center cellpadding=2 cellspacing=0>";
echo "<tr bgcolor='#666666'>
<td><font color = white>Name</font></td><td><font color = white>Category</font></td><td><font color = white>URL</font></td><td><font color = white>Description</font></td>
</tr>";
while($rows=mysql_fetch_array($result)){

$cat = $rows['catid'];
$sql2 = "SELECT * FROM `category` WHERE `cat_id` = '$cat'";

$result2=mysql_query($sql2);
$rows2=mysql_fetch_array($result2);

if($color==1){
echo "<tr bgcolor='#eeeeee' onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\";' onmouseout=\"style.backgroundColor='#eeeeee'\">
</tr>";
// Set $color==2, for switching to other color
$color="2";
}
else {
echo "<tr bgcolor='#c0c0c0' onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\";' onmouseout=\"style.backgroundColor='#c0c0c0'\">
</tr>";
// Set $color back to 1
$color="1";
}
}
echo '</table>';

Thanks everyone.

One more question:

[code]
if($color==1){
<td>".$rows['name']."</td><td>".$rows2['category']."</td><td><a href=".$rows['url'].">Link</a></td><td>".$rows['description']."</td><td><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['url']."&act=1">Yes</a><br><font color=red><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['id']."&act=0">No</a></font></td></tr>";
LINE 134.. wierd eh?-->  // Set $color==2, for switching to other color
$color="2";
}

else {
<td>".$rows['name']."</td><td>".$rows2['category']."</td><td><a href=".$rows['url'].">Link</a></td><td>".$rows['description']."</td><td><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['url']."&act=1">Yes</a><br><font color=red><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['id']."&act=0">No</a></font></td>
</tr>";[/code]

I am getting [!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in /home/informed/public_html/projects/tuts/approval.php on line 134[/quote]

I didn't check all of it, but I can see in my editor that something is off with the line you are echo'ing. You have a ";" in the middle of your <tr> definition and some odd flips back and forth when using single quotes and double quotes. See the examle, but you go from defining the onmouseover with single quotes to the onmouseout with doublequotes.

I would break these down and make sure they all work in smaller pieces then move them back to one.

For example:

[code]echo "<tr bgcolor='#eeeeee' onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\";' onmouseout=\"style.backgroundColor='#eeeeee'\">[/code]

I think should be this:
[code]echo "<tr onmouseover='style.backgroundColor=\"#3D59AB\" 'onmouseout='style.backgroundColor="#eeeeee"\'>[/code]

That's obviously not the full echo from your script, just the part I saw some problems with.

Hope that helps!

Err, I used the code many many times, and they worked perfectly. The only new part this time is [code]<a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['url']."&act=1">Yes</a><br><font color=red><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['id']."&act=0">No</a></font>[/code]

I also tried removing that part, and it worked... so it has to be it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Problem found...

All I had to do was change

[code]<a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['url']."&act=1">Yes</a><br><font color=red><a href="approval.php?id=".$rows['id']."&act=0">No</a></font>[/code]

to

[code]
$link1 = 'approval.php?id='.$id.'&act=1';
$link2 = 'approval.php?id='.$id.'&act=0';

<a href=".$link1.">Yes</a><br><font color=red><a href=".$link2.">No</a></font>[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.